Santorini What to Do?

Search

Santorini What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santorini What to Do?

We are spending three days in Santorini in June as part of our package. What are the best things to do? Would love ideas. Looking forward to wandering around but don't want to miss anything important.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 04:38 AM

The two main towns are Fira and Oia and you should definitely see both. We stayed in Fira and took the bus to Oia twice - once in the early afternoon (very uncrowded even in July) and once late afternoon for sunset. Different feel each time and glad we went both times. There is a hiking path between the two that supposedly takes about 3 hours. We did the first hour of it from Fira - through the villages of Firostefani and Imerovigli. We also did a little of the other end - from Oia through Finikia (which blend into each other).

One afternoon we took the bus to Pyrgos, an inland hill town and really enjoyed that. A couple of hours to wander around a much less touristy feeling town that the main ones on the caldera. But with the bus connections it took most of the afternoon. There are other inland towns but we didn't have time.

The main "attraction", the archaeological dig is still closed I believe, it was last summer, but it may be about to re-open. The guidebooks talk all about that. There are a few museums, my husband went to one in Fira and enjoyed it. I just wanted to be outside seeing the beautiful scenery. And of course you can always shop.

My photos of Santorini are at:www.pbase.com/annforcier/greek_islands
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Isabel, thank you for sharing your photos. They are beautiful! Did you do a trip report? I think I need to start planning a trip to Greece.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:14 AM

Spend some time swimming in the sea and chilling on the beach
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Hi RebeccaHWA,
We were in Santorini for 5 days this past Sept...you'll love it there!
We rented an ATV for a couple of days. It's the best way to really get to explore the island. Fira and Oia of course you'll visit and they are beautiful, but take the time to explore both ends of the island. It's small and won't take you long to drive from one end to the other, but the fun part is taking a map and just driving around and getting off the beaten path. The red beach is a beatiful site, not great for sunbathing but incredible to walk.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:16 AM

Hey Isabel great pictures. You have a good eye for photography.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:45 AM
wug

I've been to Santorini about five times and never run out of things to do. Definitely visit the red beach, it's very near the site of Akrotiri, which hopefully will reopen soon. The hike between Oia and Fira is worth it! it's an easy hike and the views are spectacular. We always stay in Oia so we hike from Oia to Fira, have lunch and then take the bus back. Also, visit Boutari Winery and also the smaller winery on the northern end of the island near Oia, it's called Santo Wines. There are a few others as well.

As Jenn_Mitch said, We enjoy just driving around the island, visiting some of the smaller beaches and villages. Of course, I can sit on my terrace in Oia enjoying the caldera view for days!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM

When I was in Santorini an activity I really enjoyed was a volcano hike. You take a boat out to a young island and hike to the summit (easy hike) There is also another option to look into where you can swim also. Here is some info, I do not remember the package company I was with, it was booked through the cruise I was on. This will give you some idea

http://www.santorini.net/125.html

http://www.kelenistours.com/santorinivolcanotours.html
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM

stanbr - thanks

wtm003 - yes I did a report - here's the link: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Isabel your pictures are gorgeous!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the link Isabel!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

A huge thank you to all. I am now so looking forward to it. It is just so nice to see photos and get ideas that are easy to follow. Just a big thank you
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Isabel, fabulous pics! Watched all 300+. Thanks so much...
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Isabel, I too loved your photos- great job. Can you recommend a good hotel in Santorini? Ill be there early September for 2 or 3 days. Thinking of a couple of days in Mykonos and Paros- any thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Sorry about my spelling of Greek islands.. Could be Poros- which ever is closest tot he other islands.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Well, you can go on a volcano tour, visit the museum and some nice beaches such as Perissa beach. I would also suggest you to rent a car so as to save time while moving from one place to another. A visit to Imerovigli is always a “must do” when you go to Santorini… I think that a walk in the capital and a volcano tour is a good option for the first day and then, jump into the car and explore the island on your own!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 02:02 AM

Hi Jaynel

Please post your query seperately - you'll be given lots of assistance. Don't "hijack" Rebecca's post