Santorini-Nafplio-Delphi-Athens Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Greece from June 27th-July 8th and have our itinerary roughly set. I wanted to get some feedback from you all, particluarly regarding the Nafplio-Delphi-Athens leg of our trip. Upon returning to the mainland from Santorini (our flight arrives at 8:00 in the morning) we plan to rent a car a drive to Nafplio. I have booked a hotel there for three nights, giving us 2 1/2 days. From there we were planning to drive up to Delphi for one night and then head to Athens for our last two nights. I am now trying to decide whether or not we should take a night from Nafplio and add it to Athens. I am also wondering if this will be too much driving. Any suggestions?

June 2: Arrive in Naflplio in the early afternoon.
June 3: Nafplio
June 4: Nafplio
June 5: Drive to Delphi
June 6: Drive to Athens
June 7: Athens
June 8: Fly Home
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Also-Is Mystras a do-able daytrip from Nafplio?
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It is but not at the expense of the Mycenae and Epidavros. Plus, Napflion is so wonderful. We stayed in Napflion 4-5 days, overnight in Sparta for Mystras , then Olympia one night , to Delphi one night, then to Athens. We spent 3-4 nights in Athens. However we had a whole month that trip. So many wonderful places to see.
How long are staying on Santorini? Maybe you could steal a day from there. We stayed there four nights,much too long.
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

woops... those dates that i listed are supposed to be july, not june! We have 4 days in Santorini, the first few days we wanted to spend just relaxing and not really doing much sightseeing. Those are already set as we are flying to and from the island and have already booked our tickets. Some people seem to think that 3 nights in Nafplio is too long and others like you say you loved spending so much time there. How long is the drive from Nafplio to Delphi? Should we add another night in Athens and daytrip via bus to Delphi instead of driving?
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:38 PM

I would not want to cut out any time from Nafplion. I agree with HappyTrvlr that if you can steal a day from Santorini, you'd enjoy the extra time in Athens. We did a similar itinerary two years ago, but in reverse and with an extra day each in Nafplion and Athens. It was wonderful. You're going to have a great time!!
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:55 PM

Whoops - our posts crossed. Since Santorini is set, I'd just keep your current itinerary. 3 nights in Nafplion is not too long! It's a lovely town and there's so much to see and do in the area. We did the drive from Delphi to Nafplion in about four hours, not including a stop for lunch in Rio. Some portions of that drive were absolutely harrowing, but others were unbelievably beautiful. The drive from Delphi to Athens is really easy.
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

ok thanks txtree! i was reviewing our itinerary and started to get nervous about all of the driving. but, in the end we really want to see delphi so i think it will be worth it.
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:49 PM

Our hotel room in Delphi overlooked the olive groves going all the way down to the sea, beautiful setting.
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:07 AM

nspotz
Unfortunately you will have to drive to Rio, cross the bridge and drive to Delphi.
There used to be a ferry from Aigio to Agios Nikolaos, which was very convenient, but it doesn't run anymore.

The road to Patras is under construction, so i would suggest you take the old coast , which passes through many nice villages as you drive along the sea.

Right after crossing the Rio-Antirrio bridge take a coffee break at the medieval port of Nafpaktos.
On you way you can also visit the lovely town of Galaxidi.
Distance from Nafpaktos to Delphi is 100 km, Galaxidi to Delphi 35 km.

Nafpaktos
http://tinyurl.com/ode3z7h
http://tinyurl.com/o3fs54h

Galaxidi
http://tinyurl.com/p5u2l67

http://tinyurl.com/q464shb

Take your time and enjoy the trip, there is a lot to see on your way to Delphi.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:52 AM

There is another route but it involves backtracking. If you go to Michelin Driveplanner http://www.viamichelin.com/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm and put in "Nafplion" and "Delphi" and ask for fastest/shortest. or Michelin recommended ... the map shows the route that takes u back across the corinth canal, then back to near Athens, then up to the mountains. the distance is about 250 km, time 4 hrs 19 mins. Other way takes longer, but of course, different scenery.
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Should we do 3 nights in Athens and take the bus to Delphi one of those days instead of driving and spending the night?
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:09 AM

It depends, Nspotz, it depends. If u just want to check it off your list, u can take a 1-day tour. However, u may be let down; I did that on my first Greek trip in '99 and was exasperated; bus took forever picking people up at hotels, didn't arrive until 11:15, guide was bored/robotic talk, dumped us at museum w. no guidance, then snatched us away for group lunch at taverna that we didn't want (I'm sure it was a kickback) and a hi-pressure vist to rug shop. in 2012, I did it as a D-I-Y; took PUBLIC bus up at 3 in afternoon... in cool of evening went to Museum (it's open til 7:30pm); NO ONE was there!! Museum now has good signage, no need for guide. next AM went to ruins at 8 am, no tours around, walked down to Athena ruin, then had lunch & caught afternoon bus. wonderful Stayed at PAN hotel, views down mountain to sea, €35 incl bkfst.

U also can do in 1 day D-I-Y if willing to get to Loission bus station EARLY to get ticket to 1st bus (7:30); Get there by 6:30 or so (this bus is in demand by D-I-Y sightseers in high season). take a picnic. U arrive about 10:15, ask driver to let u off at ruins, save a long walk... then go to museum/ruin, picknick up top. THe last bus is around 6 PM in town. RT bus = under €30.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM

If you want to see more of Greece, then drive to Delphi following the itinerary i recommended, and see Delphi in the early morning on the next day.

If you only want to see Delphi, then do it as a day trip from Athens.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM

I loved Nafpaktos, one of the towns Clausar recommended and wished I'd had more time there - didn't get to visit Galaxidi though. The Rio-Antirrio bridge is pretty cool looking, and you can get some nice views of it through the windows of the little guard towers(?) at the harbor in Nafpaktos.

Nafplion is so charming too. You can visit Epidavros, Mycenae, Tiryns, Nemea...from there.

Are you staying in Delphi Town? I stayed in the little town of Arachova, just past Ancient Delphi. I thought it was a bit more atmospheric than Delphi Town.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM

We stopped for lunch in Galaxidi, a lovely town, while driving from Olympia to Delphi. We would like to return there some day.We'll have to add Nafpaktos too.
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM

Delphi is amazing. I wouldn't do it as a day trip from Athens - you should get there in time to see that gorgeous sunset across the valley.
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:57 PM

Not too much driving and don't take a day from Naufplion. My vote is for leaving your itinerary as it is - you'll have plenty to see and do in Naufplion and the surrounding sites. Do not miss Mycenae and Epidaurus. The drive from there to Delphi is wonderful. I have a great memory of when we got lost and stopped in a little village where no one spoke a speck of English and my husband was forced to use his book-studied Greek - it was liberating with lots of laughs! Get to Delphi in the afternoon to enjoy the evening, then visit the site in the early hours to avoid the bus tours. We lunched in Arachova. I would stay there rather than Delphi. Also - Santorini is fabulous and should not be dismissed as many do with "once you've had a look at the view move on". There is sightseeing, boat trips and many vistas to drink in.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks everyone for your input! It seems the drive is not that bad... Looks like we will keep our plans. We already booked a night at the Pan hotel in Delphi, but it is refundable in case we want to change it.