Search

santorini, Mykynos & Crete in October

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
santorini, Mykynos & Crete in October

Hello.

I am planning on visiting Santorini, Mykynos and Crete, along with one or two days in Athens during the month of October. I am concerned about the weather and amount of services that are available at that time of year. Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. (Hotels, ferries, restaurants, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Ross.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:00 AM

I went to Santorini and Mykonos in mid-late Oct. and had a great time. Some of the beach resorts had shut for the winter, but still plenty of hotels, restaurants, shops open. Local buses were cut back some, especially on Sunday. Lots of cheap taxis though so no problem. I'd stay right in the main towns as the outer beaches, etc. might be too quiet. In 2 weeks, 1 day of rain, 1 day mixed, 1 day cloudy, remainder sunny and warm. Went swimming on Mykonos. Ferries weren't crowded.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:35 AM

October is the best timing to visit Greece.
The sea is warmer than during the summer months.

You should expect better service and rates in the hotels.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:43 AM
brotherleelove2003

Tourist accomodations and many restaurants begin to close down in September and much is closed by October, but you will always be able to find some place to stay and a restaurant for your meals. Ferry Schedules scale way back but there are still ferries between these three islands with regularity. The nights will be chilly, and you will experience some windy days, and the sea will DEFINITELY NOT be warmer than the summer months. The sun will be shining, you can be sure of that.

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Anyone else have any suggestions or advice?

Ross.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 05:50 AM

I have the same itinerary for Nov 1st. I planed on going back to Athens by plane the day before . To assure That I would make my flight back to New York.I would not want to risk taking the ferry from Crete with the windy conditions that time of year. I know you could save money by flying early in the morning into Athens to catch the departing flight . It is low season this time of year. The flights are scaled back . I also noticed that island hopping by plane you end up going back to Athens even if you were flying from Santorini to Crete
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else?

Thanks.