Santa Margherita or Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My original plan to stay in Santa Margherita for three nights with a day trip to Cinque Terre is now in question. We were supposed to meet up with folks in Portofino, but that has now fallen through so we are open to new ideas.

I would like to find out your thoughts...Is it worth changing our plans and spending those three days in Cinque Terre instead? I have two months still to make any adjustements.
Or, would Lake Como be more enjoyable?
We are looking for beauty, hiking, good food and sun.
Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:27 PM

I think staying in SM for three nights is just about right. We stayed at Villa Gnocchi, a B&B in the hills above SM. One day we drove to Varnazza, one of the five villages in the Cinque Terre, for the day. A rather hair raising ride on a mountainous road to a parking lot above the town. We did spend the day there and enjoyed lunch and walking through the town and a short distance along the cliff walk.

The next day was even better. We drove to Portofino (what a lovely town to look around in). But the high light was the boat trip from the harbor to San Fruttuoso, a restored abbey only accessible by boat). After the most wonderful lunch of Pesto pasta, we hiked back to Portofino along the cliff that went along the ocean or rather Mediterranian. It was a rather strenuous hike but so worth it to come back into Portofino from the hills. We got the map at the Visitor Center in Portofino.

Lake Como is also nice so not knowing where you are coming from, I can't say which is best or most convenient for you. We did love this three night bit though.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:41 PM

lake como was one of the highlights of our trip to italy. we stayed 2 nights after flying into milan. it is beautiful.

then we trained down to lerici where we took boat trips to ct and sm. lovely little hotel on the the beach - floridian - was reasonable, clean and we had a terrace overlooking the ocean.
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:46 PM

To: SaveThePanda. We just returned from S. Margherita and the Cinque Terre yesterday. I think you will find beauty, good food and sun in SML, but not hiking. You must go to the Cinque Terre to hike.

We stayed at the Hotel Continental in SML for 5 nights, which was our "base." We took day trips: Portovenere (many thanks to BobtheNavigator for his recommendation to visit this town), the Cinque Terre, Portofino, & Camogli. But the one town we felt the most pleasureable and comfortable in was, without a doubt S. Margherita. It worked its charm on us. I cannot say enough about the Hotel Continental...warm and friendly and detail-oriented staff, fantastic room (spotlessly clean with top quality linens) overlooking the Ligurian sea. I could go on and on about this hotel, but I would bore everyone.

I took the advise of Fodorites and ordered the ravioli with the walnut sauce at Trattoria Baicin's, via Algeria 5-9. Good food, but you must have a little patience with the service. There are only 2 waitresses and 1 busboy.

Haven't gotten over the jet lag, so I'm a little tired, but I would be very happy to be of help to anyone with questions about the towns I mentioned above. Buona Notte.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:47 AM

To I am Kane: I am curious to hear more about Portovenere. We will be staying there this summer (also at the recommendation of Bob the Navigator!) and plan to also explore the CT. Any recommendations for restaurants in Portovenere? Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:07 AM

There are numerous water front places. My fav is Da Iseo, but let your nose and gut lead you. The best food in town is at the G.H. Portovenere but a bit pricey and no view.
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:51 PM

To Marie F. We arrived at Portovenere about 10:00 a.m. from SML. Lunch was the only thing on our mind at about noontime. We left the old castle and walked along a narrow pedestrian street on the upper level of the town. The smell wafting from a small pizzeria was so enticing, we were drawn into the place. No knives or forks at this establishment - just square pieces of paper to hold your slice of heavenly pizza or hot sandwich. Our "table" was attached to the outside wall, with two chairs and real flowers in a vase.

Take Bobthenavigator's advice on restaurants because we had to leave right after lunch in order to catch the bus to the train to the Cinque Terre.

All I can say is that Portovenere made a lasting impression on us, created by the character of the town and the scenery. It's definitely worth the trip.

Old May 16th, 2003, 04:00 PM

To I am Kane and Bob:
Thanks for the suggestions! We are planning to check out the pizza restaurant and Da Iseo. Can't wait!