Reload this Page >

Santa Margherita Ligure

Search

Santa Margherita Ligure

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 10:47 AM
Diane Cull

Santa Margherita Ligure

We are going to base at Santa Magherita Ligure for our trips to Cinque Terro and Portofino. Anyone have suggestions for hotel accom.? Or, bed and breakfast accom? <BR>Has anyone traveled to this area without reservations? <BR>Thank you, Diane

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 11:11 AM
Jeanie

We recently visited Santa Margherita Ligure, it was beautiful. We actually stayed in Rapallo (about 10 minutes away) at the Albergo Bandoni and loved it. For us it was great because it was one of the few places we could afford that was cute and had character. If you are on a budget this is a great place with great views.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 03:15 PM
Mary

We also stayed in Rapallo last year in January at the Hotel Giulio Cesar, a three star hotel.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 07:52 PM
Kay

Diane: <BR>I was in Santa Magherita Ligure in June <BR>this year. It is a beautiful town and <BR>you will not be disappointed. We stayed <BR>at the Hotel Jolanda. The web address is http://dns.promix.it/hotel/jolanda. <BR>Great location and good value for the <BR>price. We did have reservations. Have <BR>a great time and explore the town. <BR>Kay <BR>Kay

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 11:55 AM
Ken Horn

Diane- I also stayed @ Hotel Yolanda in mid Sep 2 years ago with no reservations on Friday & Sat nite. Went to TI at 4 PM Friday afternoon and they directed me. Try to stay at least 2 days and you'll get a nicer room- It was about $80 per nite with bath in the room. No air conditioning tho. Have a good time. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 12:11 PM
D. Spiegel

I stayed there in September 1997. Our hotel was a Best Western Hotel Laurin, although not necessarily budget at about $150 a night. The town was charming and it was easy to get to the other sights. Over the weekend there was a large flea market in the center of town, and you should wander the shops as they are geared more the locals than for tourists. I spent some time in a pasta shop watching a man make pasta. He even posed for a photo. The best restaurant of our 2 weeks in Italy was here at Da Baicin -- ask for directions -- food was very reasonably priced and excellent. I suggest you take the 15-min. boat ride to Portofino and take the bus back for a different perspective. While in Portofino there is a bakery by the tourist office that has the most incredible bread. We found it necessary to have reservations at restaurants on Saturday night as this is a resort town for the Italians.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 12:45 PM
Bud

<BR>Dear Diane, <BR> Jane and I were at SML this <BR>May. Undoubtedly it is an excellent <BR>base for the area. Good choice. <BR> We recommend the Fasce Hotel, <BR>capably managed by an English lady who had married an Italian. <BR> It was remarkably clean, central, and economical (about $90, <BR>double, as I remember) <BR> We drove to Portofino just <BR>before sunset one evening...it was <BR>charming. We missed the crowds! <BR> Parking is the problem, and <BR>the Fasce had its own security lot. <BR> Easy, interesting walk to <BR>the harbor. Good choice of <BR>restaurants there. <BR> Walk to RR station for trip to <BR>Cinque Terre. It's a full, in- <BR>teresting day there. I gave it *, <BR>my wife and friends **. <BR> SML is a bit larger, busier <BR>than I had imagined. Yes, you'll <BR>need reservations in the city. <BR> Enjoy!

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 08:28 AM
Ellen

I also stayed at the Hotel Jolanda and found it to be one of the best value places i have ever stayed. It is only 5 min. by foot to the train and 5 min. by foot to the water. You can easily take the train to Cinque Terre or the 5 min. by ride to Portofino <BR>Ellen

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 03:16 PM
Dan

Last year, we stayed at one of the best bread and breakfasts I have ever experienced. I was recommended by Karen Brown in her book. Villa Gnocchi is operated by Robert and Simone Gnocchi and is located in hills above Santa Magherita with a forever view out over the bay. They were fantastic hosts. I recommend you take your evening meal with them as well. It was special. We had reservations, but we prefer to travel with reservations. In Monterosso, we stayed at Villa Steno and it was also excellent. The owner/manager even let us send emails on his office computer.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 07:27 AM
John

Hi Diane, <BR>We stayed at an absolutely wonderful hotel in Santa Magherita last year, and maybe you will think I am paranoid, but I don't want to put the name on Fodors. <BR>It is an Italian Hotel, with mostly Italian guests, but it was one of the most memorable hotels I have ever stayed in, overlooking the sea, and walking distance to town, and even Portofino....you will have to email me as I will not give out the name. John