Reload this Page >

San Lorenzo in Rome - Safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 04:41 PM
Anna

I'm staying at the Casa della Palma hotel in San Lorenzo in Rome. I'm not famliar with the area, and since it's located near the Termini Station, I was concerned if it's safe.<BR><BR>Is anyone familar with the area the hotel is located? Is it safe for two females?<BR><BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 11:02 PM
Anna

Topping!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
Anna

Please - I really need the advice

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:08 PM
Walter

Anna: This hotel is at Via dei Sabelli, 98 which is basically East 1.4km from the front of Termini and north of the tracks. It's ~1km Northeast of what the guidebooks call the "seedy" section plus seperated by the train tracks. It is outside the loop of where most people stay and tourists visit, so you might not get any 1st hand info on the area. I'm sure it's safe but you will have to take buses or the Tram to the sites and back, unless you really like to walk. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:14 PM
Anna

Walter,<BR><BR>The reason I picked this hotel is because it was $65 per night for two people, and the rooms were very nice - I'm on a very tight budget!<BR><BR>You mentioned it was safe, but are you saying that it far away from any bus/train station? Is the area more of an inconvience than a plus?

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:15 PM
Leslie

Don't know this hotel but the immediate area around the Termini is not very nice and I wouldn't want to stay there. From the description above, the hotel's location is inconvenient to the main tourist attractions. I would add that taxi's are not all that easy to come by, particularly outside of the 'centro storico' so if it's budget you need, at least pick one close to the subway line station. That way, you can cheaply and quickly connect in to a locale from which you can walk to key sights. <BR><BR>Hope this is helpfu.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 02:18 AM
Steve James

Hello Anna,<BR><BR>San Lorenzo is a "popular" area of Rome, off the tourist track, - and I like it for that reason. I would have no worries about staying there. <BR><BR>You might want to consider a bus pass as it's a long walk to the main sights. It's well served by buses, and tram No 19 (I think) passes close by, which trundles round to San Giovanni/Colosseum in one direction, and Villa Borghese (and eventually the Vatican) in the other. A nice way to go. <BR><BR>The nearest metro station will be Piazza Vittorio or Termini.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Joanne

Anna: We stayed in the San Lorenzo district on our first trip to Rome. Our hotel was very near the university and there was a bus stop across the street, so we had no problems getting around the city or to any of the places we wished to visit. I don't know where Casa della Palma is located in terms of nearness to the university area, but we were very comfortable walking about and we felt safe at all times. <BR><BR>I'm told that when the Nazis occupied Rome they never made it into the San Lorenzo area because the residents fought fiercly to keep them out. Apparently they finally gave up and left the area to its own devices!<BR><BR>j

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Walter

Anna: This site has the bus and trams and destinations that Steve mentioned www.charmingrome.com/casadellapalma Even if you are at a different location at the end of the day all you would need to do is find a bus or a metro stop heading back to Termini. From there it's ~ a mile to your hotel (it's a 1.4km straight-line). The Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II Metro stop (Line A) is probably alittle closer than Termini but you might find the area (Piazza to the train track underpass) alittle "spooky" but not unsafe at night. Regards, Walter