Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

San G. or Orvieto if I have time for only one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to either of these, but I do not think I'll have time for both. Anyone have a favorite. We'll be staying in either Florence or Siena in April. My son wants Florence and I want Siena.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What it the rest of your itinerary? Will you have a car?

If you are staying in Siena, it's much easier to get to San. G than Orvieto.

As for Florence or Siena, they are only an hour apart and there is a bus almost hourly (except fewer on Sunday).

Orvieto is between Florence and Rome. Will you be going to Rome?
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

No car. We will go to Santa Margherita next then on to Nice. We will daytrip to Siena by bus if I decide to stay in Florence. We will only be there 4 nights. I have been to Florence several times. So Siena will be 1 day and I figure we will only do one other daytrip. If we stay in Siena, we will daytrip to Florence along with 1 other place.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 06:47 PM

As mentioned San G is quite a bit closer to Siena than Orvieto is to Florence. Other than transportation time of the two I personally preferred Orvieto, because of the lovely Duomo, the excellent cuisine in town, and the sense of a "town" which I did not get in San G, though the towers were interesting to see--more so from a distance, I thought.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 06:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I imagine the bus to San G. is faster than taking the train to Orvieto which takes about two hours.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM

I've been to both places - although on different trips. If I had to choose one - it would be San G. It's a beautiful town, unique buildings, wonderful restaurants and great shopping. You will be pleased with whichever you choose.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Agree totally with annw. If you only have time for one, the duomo in Orvieto is a "killer"-just gorgeous. The town is very walkable and there is an underground tour of interest. If you are a photo taker, the 2nd floor at the museum facing the duomo is a good place to get a nice shot. Pretty countryside there as well.

Again, just my opinion but San Gim's towers are striking, the duomo inside has some lovely mosiacs and the views of the countryside are nice. I thought there were more tourists visiting but that could have been the day we were there (a Sunday).
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Orvieto wins hands down. Simply no contest.

It's a real town: a regional centre with shops aimed at Umbrians (even, rarest of things in Italy, an almost decent bookshop), restaurants where some Orvietans eat, sandwicheries awash with local shoppers and scarcely a vendor of tourist tat to be seen, since the shopkeepers are too busy dealing with their regular customers. A stunning range of museums, and infinitely greater, and more, paintings in the town's innumerable churches. A nice funicular up from the station - and a terrific view over the plain.

San Gimigniano, by contrast, is little more than an oddity: a picturesque Italian hill town (of the kind they churn out by the dozen in the area), made unique merely by a few towers, demonstrating that Italy was just as good at building ugly junk in the 13th century as it is today. Only in Orvieto, the ugly buildings are all modern, clustered round the railway station, and invisible from the main city's medieval wonders.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 07:26 AM

IMHO it's Orvieto - much more beautiful and the church is magnificent. The shopping is also much better in Orvieto; the quality of the wares in San Gimigniano is not up to much and you see the same things you've seen elsewhere. If you do choose San Gimigniano then visit during the week. On weekends the town is packed with tourists.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

I will visit Orvieto for sure and I am hoping to find a little time for San G. Maybe late afternoon and returning on the last bus back to our base-which-ever town wins, probably Florence.

adrienne

Your tip about shopping in Orvieto helped convince me. Although I have read so much here about Orvieto that I was leaning toward it.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Florence would be my choice if I could only go to one town. There is so much to see there.

From Florence we took day trips to San G and Pisa. There is also Lucca.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Many posters have suggested that San Gim in the evening is more relaxing-tourists gone!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

TDudette

That sounds good...if I can just get a bus back to Florence. I haven't checked bus schedules.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Having stayed for a weeek on the square in San G. and only daytripping to Orvieto, I think you have made the right choice of Orvieto based on shopping. Be sure and buy something made out of olive wood. We bought a small coffee scoop that I'm still kicking myself for not buying more since we didn't see them anywhere else.

This does not mean San G. is not worth visiting, it can be magical, especially in the evening hours, but many of the shops are much the same....and there isn't an underground tour, the Duomo, or that neat well. If you can fit it in, try and go all the way down to the bottom of the well, it will be a trip you remember, if only in your knees!

--Annie
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

annie

I will check out the well. I imagine that getting to the bottom of the well will be the easy part and coming back up will convince me not to do it again!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM

I also agree about the shopping. I do have one tiny and extremely expensive lemon motif dishtowel from San G but found much that was overpriced. I think it would be lovely at night.

I had a great time shopping in Orvieto -- didn't do a ton of it, but did sort out a decent ceramics shop (one recommended in a book I had) that shipped the pieces home (a fortune to ship ceramics however!). Also there were other wonders -- down one of the alleys with craftspeople working, found a leather shop and bought a suede coin bag from the craftsman. There were a number of other shops, lovely storefronts, long lanes to stroll. The views from town aren't bad either!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like my kind of place! I can't wait to get there. Hope it's kinda warm.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:20 AM

scatcat, there is a bus from SG to Poggibonsi and the train station. You'd need to check again, but my 2004 bus schedule shows last bus on a Sunday leaves San Gim at 20,15 (8:15)-might be more frequent on weekdays. About a half-hour trip to Poggibonsi. Good luck!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TDudette. I am definitely going to squeeze in time for SG.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Just coordinate that bus and the train! Our experience was that there were more trains during the week.

One other poss is to check with your concierge/clerk (or other Fodorites!) and see if there are any drivers around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -