Samsung dual sim settings for international roaming

Search

Samsung dual sim settings for international roaming

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2024, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
International roaming in Europe on Samsung Galaxy dual sim

I have a Samsung Galaxy dual sim phone. I have my home country sim which I want to use only for emergencies and need the mobile data to be STRICTLY OFF. I will also get a European sim for local calls and mobile data. This needs me to keep mobile data roaming ON in my phone settings. I will also select this sim as preferred sim
But since data roaming ON/Off setting is not for each sim, so I'm worried if it switches to my home sim for some reason and I incur huge charges on return.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario? What are the right settings?

Thanks!
​​​

Last edited by explorer2212; May 2nd, 2024 at 06:11 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 07:36 AM
J62

Originally Posted by explorer2212
I have a Samsung Galaxy dual sim phone. I have my home country sim which I want to use only for emergencies and need the mobile data to be STRICTLY OFF. I will also get a European sim for local calls and mobile data. This needs me to keep mobile data roaming ON in my phone settings. I will also select this sim as preferred sim
But since data roaming ON/Off setting is not for each sim, so I'm worried if it switches to my home sim for some reason and I incur huge charges on return.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario? What are the right settings?

Thanks!
​​​
I'll have to look closer at android settings, but I believe you can set the local european sim as primary for mobile data, and I don't think you need to enable data roaming, since you won't be roaming on the local sim.
I'll look later and see if I can do a screen capture with details.

We've done this many times and never had a problem. My practice is to get a local data-only esim (through airalo dot com), and use VoIP such as WhatsApp for any local calls.

How many local calls you do you envision making? In my travels it seems like I rarely, if ever need to use local calling as businesses across Europe these days seem to all use text messaging on WhatsApp.... A data only esim cost a lot less than a voice SIM.

Edit: I just checked and our android phone only has one SIM on it, so I can't check settings for separate SIMs.

Last edited by J62; May 2nd, 2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:49 AM
twk

I used a dual SIM on an iPhone, so I can't help you, but, reading your post, I think there is one thing you might want to clarify: do you need to be able to receive calls on your domestic line, or just have the ability to make them? I'm assuming the former, but your post did not make that crystal clear.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 11:55 AM

I replied earlier, and my reply for some reason hasn't been accepted by moderators. But on a Samsung Galaxy Android phone, you can still send and receive phone calls using your US SIM even if you've disabled data roaming on that SIM and are using a European data-only (or combo) eSIM. And you can use the Do Not Disturb (DND) function to screen calls, as you can identify exceptions to the DND whose calls will come through, such as family and emergency contacts..
Old May 16th, 2024, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!!