Reload this Page >

Salzburg to Prague

Search

Salzburg to Prague

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Linda

Salzburg to Prague

Wishing to go to Prague from Salzburg in July and then back to Munich. Would appreciate information/opinions on planes, trains and or driving in relation to time,cost and logistics.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Linda

I can't speak to price/time on planes. However, I would take the train rather than drive as the border crossing is easier and, if you are not very specific when you rent the car, you will not be able to take it into the Czech Republic. Try the German rail site at bahn.de for good information and several options on the train travel (use Praha for Prague).

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Marc David Miller

As I remember this is no direct train service between Prague and Salzburg--you have to go through Vienna. You might try calling your Salzburg hotel to find out (1) if this is true and (2) if there is direct bus service (buses in that region are not that bad and are often far faster than a train).

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Bob Brown

True, there is no train service directly from Salzburg to Prague. There is a connection via Linz, Austria, that involves 2 changes and a little more than 7 hours of travel time. That is about the best you can do time wise.<BR>The DB (German) web site will give you the details and in English.<BR><BR>The trains in that part of Europe are very slow because they stop at every little station. After the quickest train enteres the Czech Republic, I think the longest run time without a stop is less than 20 minutes.<BR>Some rental companies do not like it when you drive to the Czech Republic; in fact you are in violation of the rental agreement if you do except in specific cases. (But I am not sure how the rental company knows were the car has been unless you have trouble.)<BR>Flying is usually very expensive.<BR>Your options are not attractive. Long train ride, expensive car rental, or an expensive flight.<BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Melanie

We are planning on driving from Prague to Salzburg with a stop off in Cesky Kramlov for one night. Everyone says that CK is a great historical town and its halfway between Prague and Salzburg. Prague to CK is about a 3 hour drive I've heard. CK to Salzburg is suppose to be less than 3 hours as well.<BR><BR>Have a good trip

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:08 PM
jahoulih

You might consider the night train to Munich, and then a train to Salzburg. You could leave Prague at 22:08 and be in Salzburg at 8:55 the next morning.