Salzburg - quick visit

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Amanda

Salzburg - quick visit

I am looking for advice on a quick visit to Salzburg - morning to early afternoon. What should I see? Are there any websites out there on Salzburg Fortress or sightseeing planning? Is the sound of music tour a good way to see things? I've read mixed reviews on that.
Thanks

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Nancy

I took a Sound of Music tour & was happy with it. We too only had one day in Salzburg. The only problem we had was the van had a very large front seat that the passengers in the back seat couldn't see over. The company said they were trying to redo the vans to get rid of this problem. We had a very nice guide & got a very quick overview of Salzburg. Next time I go back I hopefully will stay for 2-3 days and will be able to take a more relaxed tour of the city.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 04:32 PM
steve

The sound of music tour would be good, but i'm not sure how much time that would leave to wander on your own. If you really loved the movie, then i would do it, otherwise i think i would see the fortress, the cathedral and downtown area, then walk across the river to mirabel gardens. I have been three times - a total of perhaps 10 days and would certainly go back - it is really a wonderful city

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Heather

Personally, I would skip TSOM tour in your short visit, as most of the 4-hour tour is outside of Salzburg. Not knowing how many hours that your visit will last, I would suggest starting by organizing the sights before you go. Just a few suggestions:
Go up to Cafe Winkler for a fortifying snack/coffee, then hike about 15 minutes over to the fortress (great views of the city and surroundings)
Tour the fortress and either walk back down (or take the funicular to save time) to Mozartplatz (if you wish, there is a TI 20 feet from the statue)
Around Mozartplatz, you can see the Glockenspiel, Salzburg Cathedral, Petersfriedhof (see the tiny cemetery here), and the Residenz (tour if you're inclined & still have time)
I would skip Mozart's house on a short schedule and opt instead to walk down Getreidegasse to check out the shops

Everything above is on the left bank of the Salzach River in Salzburg's Old Town. These are suggested so you aren't racing all over during your short visit. However, if you are going in late Spring or Summer, you might want to add the Mirabell Gardens to your list. If you are coming/going by train, the Gardens could be seen on your way from or to the station.

Also, if you really want to go on the tour, it will allow you to see some of the movie's locales, such as the wedding church in Mondsee, the back of the house used in some scenes, the copy of the gazebo ("Going on 16 ..."). Much of the time is spent on a bus. IMHO, I wouldn't take the four hours away from the city itself.

A couple of Salzburg tourism Web sites:
http://www.salzburginfo.at/desk/frame_home_e.htm
http://www.salzburginfo.at/topic_tour/frame_outer_e.htm

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Rich

Amanda,
My mother was born and raised in Salzburg and is buried there. All of my family still lives there and I have visited many, many times over the years. It looks like Heather (from the previous response)has you covered! If you find more time to spend there I would also add the "Wasserspiel" and salt mines to your visit. Check the Salzburginfo. web site for further information. Have a good trip.