Reload this Page >

salzburg or ????

Search

salzburg or ????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Christina

salzburg or ????

I am traveling to Munich 02Feb-05Feb, and was then thinking about Salzburg 05Feb-08Feb. The 4 hotels I have contacted are closed. I have reservations at the Renaissance, but is everything closed down in Salzburg at this time??? If so, I can go to Zurich, or ??? Suggestions? I love museums, cafes, restaurants, siteseeing and wandering around quaint streets!! Cold not a problem, Help!!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Patrick

Have never been there but going January 10. Got reservations at the Auersperg Hotel. Looks good. I can't imagine that everything is closed, but if you want to contact me in late January (I get back the 22nd), I'll let you know.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Salzburg

Everything closed??? All Europeans cities are more lively in the winter than in the summer. Galleries, theatres, nightlife... Closed or dead in July and August. Only some resorts are closed in winter, but they are mainly along the coasts.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Bob

Go to Salzburg. Been there in the cold and in the summer. Great city to explore and close to Munich. If you have the time Berchtesgaden, Germany is also very close to Salzburg and worth a visit.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:27 AM
Nick

You will get some things closed but Salzburg is not entirely correct about winter and summer. I live in Vienna now and last year January was very dead (not closed as such but very quiet). Busy in Dec with tourists especially now from Italy. Feb last year was busier. More tourists in summer but some substance to his comment with restaurant owners shutting up. Countryside around Salzburg will have a lot (most)of accommodation closed but town itself should be OK. Munich (used to live there) is OK but very quiet on the tourist front at that time of the year, so easier to see museums etc.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:28 AM
s

Hello Christina,<BR><BR>I concur that you should hold to your original plan to visit Salzburg. In winter, the city is charming in snow, with plenty of quaint streets, museums, cafes, and historical sites to keep you wonderfully entertained for several days. Then, when you’ve finished your exploration of the city, you can easily take day-trips to other areas. I was in Salzburg in Jan 2002, and I spent one day each in Kitzbuehel, Zell am See, and Innsbruck. Each is about two hours by train from Salzburg and each has even more quaint streets and sights to explore. I don’t think you can go wrong!<BR><BR>If you haven’t already found a website for Salzburg, here is one: www.salzburg.com/tourismus_e/118.htm. You’ll be able to find out what kind of events or performances will be going on during your visit.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR><BR>s<BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:18 AM
Anne

Patrick, I stayed at the Auerspberg in October. Very nice hotel, but staff not horribly helpful! Also had some $$ stolen from the room (my fault for leaving it in the in-room safe instead of my money belt). Very very clean, great location, very nice breakfast. Free internet access (that they didn't tell us about...I stumbled across it on the last day). I think you'll enjoy your stay there.<BR><BR>Anne