Salzburg Christmas GTG?

Search

Salzburg Christmas GTG?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg Christmas GTG?

I've seen that some of us (like DH and I) plan to be in Salzburg for Christmas. Would anyone be interested in meeting for a drink on Christmas or Christmas Eve afternoon? Never been able to get to a GTG and would love to meet some of you. What do you think? And any suggestions for a place to meet is welcome.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:25 AM

I think it sounds like a good idea. Christmas day would probably work better for us. Christmas eve is looking busy!! We are a family of 4 with two young ones (3 & 7) so casual would probably be better. I have never been to Salzburg, so I don't have any ideas on where to meet. Did you have anything specific in mind??
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Casual is good and Christmas afternoon would probably work best for us as well. We were in Salzburg last year, but I'll have to research to see what would be open on Christmas Day. I understand most of the hotel places will be.

What are your Christmas Eve plans? I'm just starting to organize that part. Guess I need to get busy. Have our room, but that's all so far.

Where are you staying, pgnewby? We're in a B&B about 6 blocks from the old city.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM

We are staying at the Hotel Pension Gerl, about a 10 minute drive from the old city. We will have a car, so we can be flexible.

Our Christmas Eve is shaping up a bit like this. . .
Morning at the markets
Afternoon and lunch at the Stiegl brewery

And that is as far as I have planned. I know that we need to finalize dinner plans for Christmas Eve soon. The Hotel offers a dinner, or we might go into Salzburg (assuming we can get reservations), or we might head to the church famous for "Silent Night". I would love to be completely open and see how the kids are doing at the time, but I know that I at least need to plan for our Eve dinner.

I think we are just planning on having a lazy Christmas morning with the kids at the hotel and then just seeing what is open Christmas day. I have read that the fort is open as well as the funicular to the top. So we will most likely head there.

Hope your trip is shaping up nicely!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

pgnewby, we are working on finding a place open on Christmas Day. I have emailed a friend who lives near Salzburg and asked for his help since none of the places I emailed have responded. I should hear from Robert in a few days and we can set a definite time and place. At least one other couple (Images2)will be joining us. Hopefully others will as we get closer to time.

I am so looking forward to seeing the Christmas markets. That's MY main focus, and then we have made reservations on Christmas Eve with Bob's Tours for the "Silent Night" trip. I read a review that made it sound great, but I understand with two youngsters you'd rather play it by ear. I remember traveling with a child!

Will let you know when we have found a place we know will be open on Christmas Day.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I just got an email from my Austrian friend, Robert. He is out of town for the next two weeks, but will be in Salzburg after that and will find us a good place to meet. Will let you know what he says.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Lady,

We also are going with Bob's tours on Christmas Eve. Looks like we'll be meeting then!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Yeah!!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Lady,

Can you email me a link to the article you read about the Silent Night tour? My husband and I are planning to be in Salzburg this Christmas (if we can find a place to stay) and I'm curious about this tour you are taking. How much did it cost you per person?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM

I'm almost sure it's this article:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/thelros...rkets2006.html

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks so much for the article! So you are booked for Christmas Eve?! Do you know if we can get to the church easily if we don't book the tour. It seems like it's in a different city and we don't have a car. How much is the tour? Sorry for all the crazy questions, but it definitely seems like something we would be interested in!
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Yes, we booked a long time ago. Here's the web site:

http://www.bobstours.com/gi.htm

I think it's 38€ each.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I don't think you could easily get to the church alone. The church is tiny and there will be long lines to get in. I went with a group and really enjoyed it but do expect to stand in line outside. Watching the crowd was fun. Have a great trip. CJ
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll see if we can budget in the tour since it seems like it may be hard to do otherwise. What about the Sound of Music tour? Have you guys done this one or do you plan on doing this one? Again, any info would be appreciated....
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Don't have the time to get on every day so I'm glad others have been able to answer your questions so far. Yes, Images2 has the same site we read when we decided we HAD to do Salzburg at Christmas. I've booked much of what she wrote there.

We did the SOM tour last time we were there in the summer and really enjoyed it. DH swore he would never do it and then when the husband of a family where we were staying said he'd sworn the same thing and then really enjoyed the tour, my DH agreed to go and really liked it. It took us out of the city (we didn't have a car at the time) and showed us the lake district. It was really beautiful. We also did a luge ride that was lots of fun for all of us (DD was with us that trip), but I don't know if they do that during the winter.

CarolJean, you don't live in Vero Beach, do you? If so, you know us well.

GillsinEurope, I hope you will plan to join some of us in a get-together in Salzburg on Christmas Day. We'll give details of where and what time in a couple of weeks (an Austrian friend is scouting a place for us), but there are at least 3 Fodorite families that plan to be there.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:29 PM

If you look for a central and nice place to meet - both Cafes Tomaselli and Demel are open during these days.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Hi Lady No. I don't live in Vero but my father did and I have two stepsisters and a brother there. I used to visit a lot. I live in Oregon. Enjoy your trip. CJ
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM

No, we're probably not doing the SOM tour, but are going to the lake district by bus. Bus 150 goes to St. Gilgen and the boats are running across Lake Wolfgangsee to St Wolfgang.

On another day we plan on taking bus 840 to Berchtesgaden.

This way we can spend more time in these locations than a tour will give us.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Lady,

I'll run it by the hubby, but we are actually traveling to Vienna on Christmas day so I'm not sure how if we'll be able to find the time. I haven't purchased train tickets yet though so maybe I can get them for the evening. Let us know your plans....

Where are you staying? Would you mind giving us the rates you got? Again, still haven't planned all of it yet. Getting down to the wire....
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Images,

I just did a quick look up of Berchtesgaden and it seems like it would be a great day trip for us as well! I think we may plan on doing the salt mines. Do you know how much RVO bus #840 costs and how frequently it runs on Sundays? Too bad the Eagle's Nest is closed during Decemeber. That would have been another interesting site to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -