Reload this Page >

Salzburg/Bavaria Guesthouse

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 08:13 AM
Suzanne

Would appreciate any recommendations for Guesthouses/Pensions/Small Hotels in or around Salzburg at a reasonable rate. Also if you know of anything in the Munich/Neuschwanstein area that would be a good one-night stay, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Lee

Suzanne: We stayed at the Alte Post in Oberammergau last May and liked it alot. <BR> <BR>It's a small hotel on the main street, close to everything with clean comfortable rooms and a friendly staff. Cost was about $85.00 for a double, inc. breakfast. <BR> <BR>Check your map, but you'll find Oberammergau as a great location to many sights in the area, including Schwangau. <BR> <BR>Their email is "[email protected]". We made our arrangements for five hotels all by email for our trip. <BR> <BR>BTW, an alternative is Hohenfurch, recommended here by Wes Fowler. He'll provide info if you need it. <BR> <BR>Can't help first hand with Salzburg as I have only day-tripped, but not stayed. It is a beautiful city. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 01:34 AM
Jochen Aderhold

Suzanne, <BR> <BR>we stayed several times at the Gasthaus Kugelmuehle and loved it. It is in Germany, about halfway between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden at the entrance of the beautiful Almbachklamm gorge. See <BR> <BR>HTTP://www.berchtesgadener-land.com/...?CGGVNR=103950 <BR> <BR>for a details. Prices range from $23 to $43 per person and night. The next bus stop is 500 m away and is frequently served by direct busses to both Salzburg and Berchtesgaden. See also <BR> <BR>HTTP://www.berchtesgadener-land.com/...hle/home_e.htm <BR> <BR>for a description of the Almbachklamm. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps. <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 03:42 PM
Susie

Just returned last month from Germany. Visited Salzburg overnight and found our guesthouse through the information bureau. Had a wonderful time, wonderful breakfast and probably cost around $30... We stayed in Fussen, Austria when we visited Neuschwanstein area. Again, wonder guest house and wonderful experience. Be sure to visit Weis Church while you are in the area. It is between Fussen and Munich. It was a treat too. We had a car and it was very easy to get to all of these places. Good luck and enjoy.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 05:52 PM
mustangs81

Fussen is in Germany. We used Ruette, Austria (pronounced Roy-ta)as a home base for the castle tours and enjoyed it very much. It's a charming town, convenient to the Southern Baveria area, and relatively inexpensive. There are numerous lodging options, we found a comfortable zimmer (B&B) with no advanced reservations.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 09:03 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Suzanne, In Salzburg the Pension Nonntal <BR>is hard to beat---they have a web site. <BR>For Bavaria, lots of good places to stay but I prefer Oberammergau for the <BR>best central location. Try either the <BR>Alte Post or the Wittelsbach there.

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 06:01 PM
maryann hensinger

we were traveling in this area in april. we stayed in pfronten, which is about 20 minutes from the castles in fussen. the hotel we stayed in was called burg hotel falkenstein. i think it was in the 100.00 a night range including breakfast. the hotel sits up atop a 4,000 foot peak in the alps. it was truly spectacular. we awoke in the morning to a foot of fresh snow. it was truly magnificent. i was sorry that we only had one day there.

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 08:46 PM
Denise

I'm starting to get a funny feeling about all these recommendations. Hope you are all as sincere as I believe. It's like too many,too soon. We'll soon find out!!!

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 12:27 PM
Suzanne

I would highly recommend Weisses Kreuz, a lovely old hotel at the foot of the Festung Hohensalzburg in Salzburg. My husband and I stayed there a couple years ago. They have a wonderful restaurant in the hotel. A-5020 Salzburg, Bierjodlgasse 6, Tel. 0662/84541, Fax 845641-9. Salzburg is a wonderful place, we are looking forward to a return visit.

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 11:47 AM
Anna

We just returned from Salzburg and stayed at the Gasthaus Zur Goldene Ente. The owners were very nice and it is located on a pedestrian streets in the old part of town. We had a double room with bath for 1080 AS (~$83). The restaurant is very good and be sure to try the Salzburger Nockerl (a merringue desert with raspberries that was delicious). They say it serves 2, but 5 of us couldn't finish it. Here is their website: http://www.systemverwaltung.com/salz...nte/index1.htm

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 01:07 PM
Sara

I stayed at Haus Lindner - a pensione just outside Salzburg - 3 years ago and loved it. Inexpensive, great breakfast, great views, and wonderful family. I got the listing from Let's Go 96 - maybe it's still listed.

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 05:06 PM
Bob

Berchtesgaden is near Salzburg. Hotel Watzmann is nice. Garmisch is nice to use to visit Linderhof, Wies church and Neuschwanstein. Hotel Hilleprandt is nice in Garmisch. We have stayed at both places more than once. If you need addl info, email me and I will forward the phone numbers. Have to look them up. Both places around $100 per night for two with breakfast.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 04:49 AM
Kate

We also stayed in Oberammergau when we visited Neuschwanstein. We liked Gasthaus zur Rose from Karen Brown's book. Don't skip the Linderhof castle- it is quite a gem. We found a place near Salzburg from Fodor's book in Bad Reichenhall-(Germany) called Pension Hubertus. It's on a lake with a beautiful view of the mountains. I think it was about $90 for 3 of us, including dinner. It's only a 20 minute drive into Salzburg from there, or you could take the train since you will NOT be driving in Salzburg once you get there.