Salzburg: Anyone know this hotel?

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg: Anyone know this hotel?

Mom is coming to visit next month. We were planning a trip to Dresden, getting great advice from Ingo and other Fodorites, but...
we found a Ryanair flight to Salzburg for 75 cents, which changed our plans (with fees and taxes the total for two was still only 40 euros). Some of the more popular Fodorite choices are already booked. The Crowne Plaza is available but that is closer to the train station than the old town, I believe.
We are interested in this hotel: The Altstadthotel Kaserbrau. Anyone know of it? No feedback on TA (which we don't count against it, as that may mean it appeals primarily to European travelers). It's a 4 star and we can get a double for about 100 euros per night including breakfast and taxes. The photos look good and it appears to be within an easy walking distance of the old town (Mom is 78).
Thanks!
(Fingers crossed for nice weather in late May)
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:14 AM

It has been a few years since we were in Salzburg but as i recall the Crowne Plaza isn't all that far from the so-called "old town" section of Salzburg but if the hotel you are more interested in seems closer then by all means.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Intrepid. And I made a mistake in the spelling, it's Kasererbrau and it is well reviewed on TA, but no AC. I believe the CP is air-conditioned...so it's a toss-up, I suppose as to whether we want AC (in case of a heat wave) or proximity to the OT.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:24 AM

I know JUST how you feel. I am absolutely beating my brain to remember just how far the CP is from the OT.

When we were there last we stayed in the Elefant whisch is IN the OT section and we had a room with a window that opened into some sort of air shaft!

The place was wonderful location-wise but I remember we walked out of the OT and passed by the CP and I thought to myself ("why didn't we stay here????")

Anyway, topping this again so hopefully somebody else with a better memory will comment.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

After all that, the Crowne Plaza wanted full prepayment for their cheapest rate. No thanks. So I did a second search and ended up booking the (Best Western) Zum Hirschen, which hadn't come up as available on my first search.
The last May/June trip Mom and I did together was to Basel and Lugano in 2003 and we simply weren't comfortable in our no-AC Lugano hotel, even though it was clean, spacious, had a great location, and helpful staff. Don't want to go through that again.
Anyway, we've now got 5 nights in Salzburg and 3 nights in Freiburg and hotels with AC in both.