Sainte-Chappelle

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sainte-Chappelle

I'm going to be in Paris in mid-October. I've been to Sainte-Chappelle before but my companion has not. I'd like to see an evening concert there, but I don't want to deprive my friend of seeing the stained glass during the day. We'll probably only have enough time to go once. So should I take her during the day or should we go at night to see the concert?

I realize that maybe we'll get some sunlight if we show up early for the concert. How early do you think we should show up? The earliest concert starts at 7:00 pm.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Sunset is at 7:00 in mid October so it will already be dark before you'll enter Ste-Chappelle. It doesn't matter how early you show up since they don't open the doors until about 15 minutes before the concert. And you don't get to see the lower chapel if you're there for a concert. The concerts are short. Are you sure you don't have time to go twice?
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't imagine a visit crammed so full one couldn't manage both. They are two different things - can't you visit Ste Chapelle for 1/2 an hour one day and attend a concert one evening? If that isn't possible I'd think your days are too full. Were you planning on visiting Notre Dame? If so - Ste Chapelle is a natural add on.

It will still be dusky when the 7PM concert starts - but dusk to dark happens pretty quickly.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM

I've already purchased tickets to the 7 p.m. concert at Sainte-Chapelle on Sunday, Oct. 19 and printed the tickets. I take it that seats cannot be reserved ahead of time. You say that doors open 15 minutes before the start of the performance. Do people start lining up before then? Are ticketholders admitted ahead of those waiting on line to purchase tickets? Is the entrance to Sainte Chapelle easy to find? Even though sunset on the 19th is at 6:55 p.m. there won't be enough light at 6:45 to appreciate the beauty of the windows. In all my trips to Paris, I have never been to Sainte-Chapelle. Is there usually a long wait to get in during the day? In the past, I just remember a long line, but I can't remember if it was for La Concierge or for Sainte Chapelle. It seemed to be very confusing over there.

Also, I made a dinner reservation at Mon Vieil Ami on Ile Saint-Louis for 8:30 p.m. following the performance. Even if the concert is 45 minutes-1 hour long, that should work. We'll take a leisurely stroll to the restaurant.

Thanks.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I did call for reservations and someone took my name and phone number but when I showed up there was no reservation. But there was plenty of seats available.

Yes people line up outside the door. Ticket holders are admitted immediately and those who need to purchase tickets do so at the door and then enter. At night I thought the door to Ste-Chappelle was difficult to find (could be because I was walking and talking) but I was looking for the entrance and would have missed it if people weren't waiting. I saw the short line and asked if people were waiting. If you get to the large wrought iron gates then you went too far. There shouldn't be a long wait during the day. I've been to Ste-Chappelle several times (April, May, June, October) and never waited to get in. The only wait was in the security line and that was only a few minutes. I never waited at the Conciergerie. It's confusing because the chapel is inside the Palace of Justice and not on the street.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 03:14 AM

Adrienne,

You've been so helpful to us in planning our trip we should give you a travel agent's commission! I am going to make a copy of your post and put it with the tickets so that we won't get lost and miss the concert. That was the problem the last time we tried to see Sainte-Chapelle. We didn't know what line to stand on -- the security line for the Palace of Justice, La Conciergerie or Sainte-Chapelle. Hopefully we'll be able to find it without any trouble now.

I also take it that seats are on a first-come, first-served basis.

Roberta
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 03:39 AM

raven16 - your friend really should see the glass during the day. Might you consider doing that and then a concert at another venue. St. Eustache commonly has concerts
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Seats are not assigned; they are first come, first served but the chapel is small and you will be able to hear and see quite well from wherever you sit. Don't worry about seating.

And I will take your offer of a commission, especially as I've been out of work this year and can't travel. I'm really sad about that so I have to live through this board and enjoy your trip if I can't have my own!
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

It isn't that our schedule is so crammed that we don't have time to do both, it is just that there is SO much to do in Paris for my friend the first-timer that I'd rather not go back to the same venue twice.

But maybe I'll take the suggestion to see a concert in another church instead.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM

raven - see if St-Sulpice has a concert while you're in Paris. I went to a free concert given there last October and it was wonderful.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Freberta -

Is there a website that you got your tickets on? My friend and I will be in Paris in one week (!) and we wanted to take in a concert. I have been unsuccessful in finding info on the St. Chappelle concerts.

Thanks!
Kerrie
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Hello, Kerrie.

I went to www.archetspf.asso.fr (if that doesn't work, just Google Les Archets de Paris and click on the website). Once connected, I clicked on "Programme" and when I figured out which concert I wanted to attend, I clicked on "Fnac.com" and purchased the tickets online and printed them. It's in French, but I was able to figure it out, even though I ordered the tickets while I was on my laptop and couldn't find the cord to connect it to the printer. So, I had to figure out how to send the order to my email address and then print it using my desktop connected to my main printer. If I was able to do, it has to be easy. Hope this has been helpful.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Awesome! Thanks so much - it worked perfectly. Enjoy your trip!

Kerrie
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM

St. Chappelle is my most favorite church of all for the concerts, not only because of the beauty of the
room and incredible stained glass windows, but because of the accoustics. There is no other church concert I've been in to match it, or the quality of the performers and performances.

I have in the past just gone there and bought a ticket at 7 PM and be let in - this week I showed up on Tuesday the 22nd and the gendarmes were standing at the gate instead of the ticket man and said it was too late.

If you call to make a reservation, they will take your name and have it on a list at the door and tell you to pick it up at 6:30.

Word to the wise: be there to pick it up or buy a ticket at 6:30 PM.

I have never seen the daylight coming through the windows - I'm sure it is beautiful, but if I had to make a choice, I'd be there for the hour concert - and if you really enjoy it, they sell CD's of it as you leave. I did get to St. Chappelle later in the week and again the concert was I (read wih French accent )Incredible - my absolute favorite place for concert - usually Mozart included.

On the other hand the oldest church in Paris is St. Paul Le Pauvre - and both times I've been to concerts there were shall we say not of the same quality or beauty at all.

Don't miss St. Chappelle, the D'Orsay Museum, Versailles (take the train and save a lot of money)

I also recommend the hop on hop off bus as an easy way to get around and acclimate yourself and it does stop at all the major sites. I didn't use it this time, and my feet complained

M.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM

P.S.

the address of St. Chappelle is 4 Rue Palais and if you get on a 95 or 96 bus on rue St. Michelle
it takes you right down to the 4th arr. where you can cross the bridge to St. Chappelle.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM

I was so deeply moved by seeing Sainte Chappelle during the day with the rays of sunlight streaming through the stained glass, it is something you can't describe unless you see it in person, pictures cannot do it justice. If it were me, I would love to do both, however if I had to choose one, I would choose to see Sainte Chappelle during the day. JMHO!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM

< If you call to make a reservation, they will take your name and have it on a list at the door and tell you to pick it up at 6:30 >

Yeah - except when they don't have your name on the list. Also the doors do not necessarily open at 6:30.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I had good success with www.classictic.com, tickets are 29 euros for Sainte Chapelle. It's fairly easy to navigate the site, in the upper left hand corner you can click on the flag for the English version. Now you've all talked me into taking in a concert as well! We'll be there for my birthday and we were trying to figure out something special to do. Since I've already seen it during the day, I'm anxious to see a concert there!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Was just in Paris last week. Went to Sainte Chappelle Tuesday morning and waited in a very long line and they were closing for 2 hours in the middle of the day for some reason. Long line on Tuesday probably due to the Louvre being closed...though I remember seeing a line last June as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information