Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal itinerary without a car - suggestions appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 10 day Portugal vacation for the upcoming September and would really appreciate your help! This would be our first trip to Portugal.

Right now only the flights to/from Porto are set, everything else is based on the preliminary research and can easily be changed. Would love to get your comments/suggestions on the schedule, lodging choices, local tips, restaurants, and any activities. We will not have a car, plan to walk a lot and use public transportation whenever possible. We are a couple in our late 40s, like to explore different places, try new food options, and learn about the culture, especially when we can connect with the locals. Not so much into the touristy stuff, but will definitely check out the "must see" places.

Day 1 - flight to Porto, arrive close to dinner time. Lodging: Hotel da Bolsa

Day 2 - full day in Porto, walking tour of the city

Day 3 - full day in Porto, a short Douro river boat tour, port tasting in Vila Nova de Gaia

Day 4 - day trip to Guimaraes

Day 5 - Porto to Coimbra by train. Lodging: Vila Gale. Half a day in Coimbra

Day 6 - full day in Coimbra, Fado show at night

Day 7 - Coimbra to Lisbon by train. Lodging: The Vintage House. Half a day in Lisbon

Day 8 - full day in Lisbon

Day 9 - full day in Lisbon

Day 10 - day trip to Sintra

Day 11 - Lisbon to Porto by train. Lodging near the airport. Half a day in Porto

Day 12 - early morning flight out of Porto

Thanks in advance!
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Personally I'd do Porto > Lisbon and then, from Lisbon, the Fishermen's Trail (walking) to Cabo de S. Vicente. Skip Sintra in any case, it's a tourist trap...
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:23 AM

I'd say a really sweet itinerary - I loved Sintra and many do - especially the palace out of town on a hill.

for info on Portuguese trains check www.seat61.com (good info on discounted tickets available on the Porto-Lisbon mainline); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

IME on trains there first class may be well worth the extra money.
Old May 30th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like a good itinerary. Make sure to visit Conimbriga while you are in Coimbra.

Definitely visit Sintra, also Belem. You might consider a day trip from Lisbon to Obidos.

Click on my name for my Lisbon TR.
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good, I guess you've got this https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/pt
Old May 31st, 2016, 06:29 AM

In Lisbon be sure to hop the famous iconic hill climbing old trams thru the Alfama!

https://www.google.com/search?q=lisb...w=1745&bih=868
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! Quick question about public transportation in Porto and Lisbon... I am reading that both cities are pretty hilly, so should we buy those daily tourist transport cards or all the major cites are pretty much in the walking distance? Also, for Lisbon, does the €6 daily card cover the urban trains, trams as well as metro and buses?
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 04:36 AM

For Lisbon get the green Viva Viagem card - this works on all public transport and you can top it up easily. Available from tobacco shops and from self service machines in the metro.

Also - don't discount using buses between cities. They are cheap and efficient and there's no problem booking tickets in advance online.

Your itinerary sounds terrific. I hope you have a great time!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 10:54 AM

IME you don't need to book buses in advance - I took lots of them just showing up - but that was several years ago but there are so so many buses.

In Porto I loved taking the antique-looking tram from the city centre out to the seaside - quite a tour of town from that neat old tram.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 11:12 AM

I never take a bus when I can take a train. You can get up and walk around, you can keep an eye on your luggage, and they have better toilets (assuming the bus has one at all).
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer trains to buses wherever possible. No traffic delays either!
PalenQ - you mentioned taking trams in both Porto and Lisbon...would you see much from the trams?
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 11:43 AM

The tram is basically a small bus, but last time I was in Lisbon the popular routes were ridiculously crowded.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments, looks like we are on the right path! Any restaurant recommendations in Porto, Coimbra, and Lisbon? Really nothing fancy or expensive, but wanted to check out the good local cuisine in the small, mom and pop type settings, not requiring any dress code or reservations. Oh, we don't really eat the red meat, but any seafood, chicken or vegetarian options would work great.
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 08:58 PM

Lisbon - Bom Jardim. THE best chicken, don't bother with anything else.