Saint-Paul de Vence

Search

Saint-Paul de Vence

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saint-Paul de Vence

Thinking about staying in Saint-Paul de Vence for a week or two. Getting mixed information of if the town in in the hills with a sea view or actually on the water. Also, how are the beaches in the area?
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:04 AM

Saint Paul de Vence is an incredibly charming little hill town -- a fair distance from the water. Count me among those who would not want to stay there more than maybe a night or two. It is very touristy, particularly by day, and most shops and the dozens of art galleries are all geared for tourist/shoppers. It is all a little too "Disneyesque" for me, although again it is very charming and pretty.
I can't imagine staying there for a couple weeks, but I'm sure there are those who would disagree. I would think if your big concern is beaches, you'd want to stay on the coast.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:07 AM

One of my favorite places in the world. I spent my honeymoon there. It is in the hills-generally no water views but lovely views none the less. The closest beach is in Cagnes sur , about a 10-15 minute drive away. The beach is pebbly rather than sandy as is the case with most beaches east of Cannes. Let me know if you need more info. The website provencebeyond.com has good info on the area. If you post what you're looking for I might be able to help.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:12 AM

The beach town is Cagnes Sur Mer-sorry for the typo. Patrick (posting as I was) is correct about the town being touristy but most of the places to stay except the Hotel St Paul are not actually inside the walled village where the bulk of tourist activity is. Also, the town is lovely at night when the tourists leave & if you're staying outside the walled village, you're not so aware of the tourist scene.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:14 AM
jmv

If you want a nice place to stay in the area, consider Le Hameau. Very cute, quaint and homey with nice pool.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:15 AM

I agaree with Patrick that it's very Disneyesque - too pretty and touristy for more than a short stop. You can see some blue off in the distance that is the sea (a "nice" frenchman pointed that fact out to me when I was lost once, as if that would solve all my problems). But while I'm glad I've been to Saint-Paul but wouldn't want to base myself there, I really loved Vence. It's about 2 miles away and quite a bit larger and a "real" town. There's a lovely old center but it's still a place where people actually live and work besides being in the tourist industry. That might be a good place to base to see the whole Cote d'Azure area.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 08:50 AM

If you stay in St. Paul de Vence do not miss the Maeght Foundation museum of modern Art. It is up a hill from the restaurant/hotel "Colombe d'Or". It is a scenic site for viewing art. Call for hours. (There is parking at the top of the hill.)

In nearby Vence is the Matisse Chapel, worth seeing. Call for hours.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM

I also loved Vence... a great place to base is in Tourettes sur Loop. It's about 3 km up the road from Vence... a small artisan village. We loved it. I go to St. Paul de Vence... but very occassionally and just for a few hours. We did spend a week in Tourettes.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:31 PM

Where did you stay in Tourettes - what hotel?
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Auberge de Tourettes is very nice, great food.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM

holidyqqq-

You lucky person. You are singing my song. Saint-Paul de Vence is heaven! Where are you planning on staying? That is really the key and of course renting a car will really add to the fun. I could spend about 50 years there and hopefully will in the future. You may not want to come home.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:55 AM

We didn't stay in a hotel - though there is one or two on the main road through town. We rented a house from VRBO. It was an easy walk from the old town - yet had a pool and a bit more room (there are 5 of us).
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:21 AM

We have not been there yet but will be in two weeks. We are staying at a B and B midway between Vence and Saint-Paul de Vence which looks very lovely and has been highly recommended. It's location appears to be good. Has anyone stayed here? If so, comments? http://www.bastideauxoliviers.com/default.htm
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
jane, when we were staying in the Colombe D'Or, on one of our day trips, we passed this place and wondered what it was like inside. Now I know, it's looks very nice.
holiday, the village is busy in the morning with day trippers but it makes no difference you can still get a table, we found at the local cafe to watch the petanque players and walk about easily, later in the day after they have left, you find the charm.
Be sure to stop in the tourist office. They have an upstairs room with photos of all the celebrities who have livd or stayed in the village. Like Powell I suggest you visit the Maeght Foundation.
I love this village and it's easy access to other places worthy of a visit driving along the corniche.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Mas du Soleil and Auberge de Tourettes are 2 places often mentioned in/near Tourettes.

Some other threads on this subject

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34393022

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1346439

Here's a description of a stay at Bastide aux Olivieres for Janelp. Sounds lovely.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1322732

Vence is a market town while St Paul & Tourettes are villages. They all have "real people" living in them!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 03:05 PM

mclaurie, thanks for the links. I found them both interesting and helpful. I do believe that we will thoroughy enjoy the Bastide. At this point the owners have been most welcoming (via e-mail)which is always a concern when traveling with a 5 year-old.