Saint James Way / St. Jacob's Weg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever hiked any of the paths? I'm watching a TV documentary on it and it looks very enticing. A completely different form of travel.

I'd appreciate your hearing about your experience.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're talking about the roads from mainstream Europe to Compostella, you really need to look at a map.

From Canterbury or Rome (or even from relatively nearby) there are HUGE (= a hundred or two miles) stretches of monotonous walking.

Look up an organiser like ATG-Oxford for Compostella walking routes that are achievable by reasonably fit modern walkers without going nuts. Many of these Lite routes still qualify for the Plenary Indulgence - and for the shell badges that outCred walkers you'll meet anywhere else.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Flanner. A part of one of the routes is actually just a few miles away from my home. It doesn't get much media attention though.

Hiking one of these trails sounds interesting because of the lack of any luxury and everyone has the same goal: Compostella. In the documentary, they mentioned that people sleep in simple sleeping rooms for many people along the way. People eat simply and basically just keep walking and meeting other people. You meet people from all over Europe, carrying a backpack and walking in the same direction as you. Some people go for religious reasons, some for cultural and some because of the "adventure."
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 04:58 AM

We walked the last 150km of the way this past May and we loved it. We went with an organized group (a first for us) but we were not looking for the hardship just to experience the Way.

This is a link to my trip report:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...ross&fid=2
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Marigross,

I tried to find your trip report but all I got were all of your replies you have made in Fodor's till now. I'm sure your trip report is somewhere in there. Could you tell me the title? Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Hi Schuler, I topped the thread. The title is "Mari's Northern Spain and the Camino de Santiago Trip Report"

I'll try the link again:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34630742
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I read your trip report. Your hike sounds absolutely delightful. Thanks for the info!