safety in spain

Apr 4th, 2000, 03:04 AM
jean

safety in spain

we are reading alot about peolpe being physically assaulted in Spain. What about a personal safety device i.e. siren.I have brought whistles in the past to Italy, never had to use them though. Does it make a difference if you are traveling with children? do they tend to stay away from groups with kids?

Apr 4th, 2000, 05:01 AM
merriem

I don't know where all this bad information is coming, but Spain is just as safe as anywhere else.....including the USA. Just don't look like a tourist, and use common sense. If you are wearing a baseball cap and a tee-shirt that says USA, you might stand out. The Spanish people are lovely.

Apr 4th, 2000, 08:30 PM
julie

Met three American ladies in Granada last week who had been assaulted in a stairway in their hotel and had bags stolen, including passports, wallets, etc. But Spain is probably no worse than anywhere else. We were assaulted by a man in Portugal who kicked the side of our car because we had made some error in traffic (he followed us til we stopped, then began to harange and assault us). Police told us we could file a complaint and come back to Portugal when the case came up (oh sure!). Still,we had a wonderful trip, and it is absolutely true that Europe is no more dangerous than anywhere else, (probably safer, since guns are not in abundance).

Apr 5th, 2000, 01:06 AM
Maira

Been to Spain many times and never had any problems. Have some basic common sense; stay away from dubious neighborhoods (La Chueca Section) and be aware of your surroundings at night around Gran Via and even Prado. No different than anyplace else.

Apr 5th, 2000, 08:40 AM
lola

Sorry, but I don't agree. I've had more problems in Spain and Italy--as have my friends-- than in other countries. Thievery, not violence. Just be on alert.

Apr 9th, 2000, 07:12 PM
H

From my experince in Spain violence is not a problem. But if you give someone and opportunity they will steal from you. So just play it smart and don't look to paranoid or lost. Overall, people in Spain are extremely warm and friendly.