Safety in Rome?

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 08:11 AM
S.Allen

Safety in Rome?

I have been reading the messages in the forum on getting robbed, etc. in Italy and it sounds a LITTLE frightening. We will be there in June on a tour with a group and was wondering if there is safety in numbers. Were most of these happenings at night?, in groups?, or what?

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:43 PM
Emily Connolly

Not to worry - they only want your money!! Carry with you only what you can afford to lose, use the hotel safe, keep your credit cards and valuables close to your body. A shoulder handbag is an open invitation for trouble - if you use one, don't put your money in it. <BR>I have seen the gypsy children at work in Rome in the middle of the day. If you see a gang of young (5 - 10 yrs.)kids, hold your purse and seek a crowd of people. My husband yelled at them and they ran away!! Don't let this ruin your trip - just use common sense!!

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Emily Connolly

Not to worry - they only want your money!! Carry with you only what you can afford to lose, use the hotel safe, keep your credit cards and valuables close to your body. A shoulder handbag is an open invitation for trouble - if you use one, don't put your money in it. <BR>I have seen the gypsy children at work in Rome in the middle of the day. If you see a gang of young (5 - 10 yrs.)kids, hold your purse and seek a crowd of people. My husband yelled at them and they ran away!! Don't let this ruin your trip - just use common sense!!

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 10:23 AM
Ed

These are largely in daylight. Reports are overblown but one does want to exercise some caution. Travelers, whether in NYC, London, Rome or Paris are always targets. We're focusing on the sights, not on our wallets usually. <BR> <BR>Groups not necessarily much help. <BR> <BR>You'll find the US State Department Consular info sheets (travelers' warnings) at http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html and our own extended comments on safety in Rome at http://twenj.com/romesafe.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 12:22 PM
mwg

We spent 2 weeks in Italy, including 5 days in Rome, with absolutely no problem. I did purchase a money belt - which I only wore in Rome. I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. To be concerned about going to Italy and consider cancelling the trip out of a concern for safety is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous. I live and work in the New York metropolitan area. It is immensely more dangerous than anywhere in Italy. Lighten up, take a few reasonable precautions and enjoy the trip.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 04:03 PM
Walter

Robbed vs. pickpocketed. In the US being robbed on the street is usually by armed, physical <BR>force, or snatch and grab attackers. In Italy it will be *almost always* nonviolent pickpockets. If *you* don't look like an easy target (wallet, fanny/bum pack, easy access purse,etc) they'll just look for another victim (plenty to choose from. Outside of the major US cities pickpocking in the US is virtually nonexistent. I have never met anyone who has been pickpocketed in the US but I know/met two and an attempt on myself just in the past 2 yrs. in Italy. The 2 were both from fanny packs, one was a woman (my TA's manager) boarding a train and the other was a young man (bosses son's fellow traveler) who fell asleep on the train. Myself, I'm big, ugly, and mean looking (6'2",250lb,ponytail, tattoo's, earrings, black leather, boots, jeans) but besides my neck pouch I wear a truckers/bikers wallet (a wallet that *sticks out* above my back pocket attached by a chain (tucked in my pocket-invisible) to my belt. Well the look-out person spotted me and signaled (assumption) and I saw the 2 teenage (~16) gyspies (boy and girl) head towards me. The girl with the cardboard and pencil and the boy circling around behind me. The reason I mention this is because there is no safety in numbers or dressing like a local, the bottom line is "do you look like an easy victim"&lt;period&gt;, I did that day. <BR>Regards, Walter <BR>p.s. enjoy Italy it's *very* safe and my favorite country.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 01:53 AM
karie

I agree with everyone else here...I never felt a threat of violence in Rome in any way, and I was just paranoid after reading all the warnings about thieves. I felt much more safe than I do often in America. One thing to be aware of...be especially careful around touristy areas when you are most likely distracted. I was SO alert...paranoid really...on train, etc., mostly because of postings I had read here and in guide books and never had one hint of a problem. UNTIL we took a walking tour of historic Rome and were at the Stone of Truth (?)...which is in a small area with many happy tourists all crowding up by turn to have their picture made with the stone, and everyone is laughing and relaxed and smiling and watching one another take the pictures. My camera sort of jammed and I was intent on inspecting that, when a party in our tour walked up and asked, "Do you have anything in your pockets?" I didn't, but she said she had watched a woman, gypsy type, brushing up against me. I tell you I never even saw or felt a thing. My son said, yes, he had seen her do it, also. Fortunately, I was carrying nothing...my son had all my money, etc., in his money belt. It was just so ironic that I had been so incredibly alert the entire trip and then was totally unaware there. Walter is right...it is not a violent thing...I never felt threatened in any way...and apparently a group is not a safeguard...just the opposite in this case! But don't let it ruin your trip...Rome is such a wonderful place. Just don't carry a lot and a hidden belt is a good idea! And be careful around the Stone of Truth!

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 05:54 AM
John

I also do not feel physically threaten when I travel to Europe and do feel safer there than in many places in the US. Pickpockets and theft is another thing. Although, I am not aware of any statistis on th subject, I had a sense that the incidence of theft and/or pickpockets was realtively small. However, I may change my mind based on what I am reading from the posts from tourists returning home. I have the impression that the incidence is much higher than I thought. This won't deter me from travelling, but I will take some extra care.