Search

safety

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety

I have heard about pickpockets and crime in amtserdam, andy one have any tips for help me avoid this? Also any reviews on the saint nickalos hotel (i know i spelled that wrong) thanks
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:18 PM

Illusion,

Amsterdam is no different than any other big European city, there are good areas and bad areas. In Amsterdam you need to be carefull from the Central Train Station to the end of the tourist district, about 10 blocks. The redlight district should also be a place to be avoided, espically at night. These areas are only a very small part of the city. The rest of the city is very pleasant and safe. Have a good trip.

Greg
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:56 PM

I had someone steal my passport and all the identification I had with me in Paris. Be careful as people seem to push up against you. since that time, I had my passport and other papers copied and keep them in my suitcase. When out on the streets, I wear a kind of "fanny pack" that is flat and is under my clothes. Nothing of any value is in my pocket book.
The police couldn't have been nicer since I had to report the theft before I spent the rest of the day at the American Embassy. They told me the biggest proplem was teenagers from other countries that just hang around the Metro.
Hope this helps.
Sue
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

the hotels i was thinkiong of staying at are in the 10 block distance, so are you saying i should not stay there? I will be traveling with 2 other girls and we are all in our early 20's.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:44 AM

I think Amsterdam is safe place to visit certainly no more risky than London or Paris. Don't avoid the Red Light District - it can feel scarey in places and always ignore anyone who tries to speak to you but apart from that it's safe enough if you have your wits about you.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Illusion,

As you step outside of the Central Station in Amsterdam you will be looking straight down the main tourist ave. There are many fine Hotels on that street. During the day this is a very safe place to be, but at night the atmosphere changes. That's when you need to be carefull. Behind the left side of that street is the main redlight district, OK during the day, not so OK at night. Behind the right side of the street are houses, shops, churchs and restrauants. All I am saying is that that you need to be more aware of where you are in the evening because that is when it may be a little less safe.

Greg
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Amsterdam many years ago and it had the reputation then. There were warnings in sotres, etc. Even in jewellery stores where you sit down to try something on, there were warnings not to put anything down.

A friend of ours had her purse open and wallet taken. She felt something but by the time whe realized it, it was too late.