Reload this Page >

Safe to travel in Greece??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Margo

My husband and I would like to spend two weeks in Italy and two weeks in Greece this coming Fall. Several writers have stated that relative 'in the know' are suggesting Americans not travel to Greece at this time.<BR>Can these writers be more specific? I understand that we have to be aware of our surroundings whatever travel desination we choose but is it because of Greece's close proximity to Turkey? What about side trips to Turkey - Safe or Unsafe? Your comments are appreciated.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:11 AM
xxx

Both Greece and Turkey are perfectly safe countries. I really don´t get it: where do people get these strange safety ideas? Really, nobody is lurking around the corner to "get" Americans.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
xxx

No, only plane spotters.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Brian and Paula

My wife and I are planning 3 weeks in Italy and Greece this April. We have seen no reason to be worried about safety in Greece. Right now our Greek itenerary is looking like Athens, Santorini, and Corfu. Email after April and we will be glad to let you know how our trip went.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Susan

We planned a trip 1 1/2 years ago. Originally wanted to go to Turkey, but changed our mind and went to Greece instead because people 'in the know' told us that Turkey wasn't a good destination for my husband (I'm Canadian, but my husband is American). While on Rhodes, we decided to go to Turkey anyway and we had a fabulous time. Our only regret was that we had only a week there. While we enjoyed Greece, Turkey was amazing and we can't wait to go back.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Lori

Margo-<BR><BR>I was in Athens in mid-Dec. for business and my husband joined me for the weekend. We felt perfectly safe in Athens. Beautiful new airport, clean new metro, etc. We didn't run into any bad feelings towards Americans, etc. I wouldn't cancel a trip there. Enjoy!<BR><BR>Lori

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Carol

Hi,<BR>Greece is perfectly safe. I go there every year for 2 - 3 months and have travelled all over the country. It is best not to discuss politics in an opiniated way and to show respect for local customs - this obviously applies to all countries , not just Greece.