Safe to carry video camera?

Apr 1st, 1999, 08:04 AM
julie

Safe to carry video camera?

Anyone take a video camera with them? Going to Paris and Rome and really want to take it with us. Good way to carry it with you?

Apr 1st, 1999, 08:48 AM
elaine

My feeling on this is that I would not want to take one for two reasons: the burden of carrying it,no matter how light weight it is, and the distraction of using it which for me would take away from the immediacy of the experience. When you return there are many outlets that sell interesting,professionally-made videos of just about any location in the world, including cities, museums, etc.

Apr 1st, 1999, 08:48 AM
elaine

My feeling on this is that I would not want to take one for two reasons: the burden of carrying it,no matter how light weight it is, and the distraction of using it which for me would take away from the immediacy of the experience. When you return there are many outlets that sell interesting,professionally-made videos of just about any location in the world, including cities, museums, etc.

Apr 1st, 1999, 08:54 AM
Barbara

I was in Switzerland and Austria last September and had no problem whatsoever using a camcorder. Actually, I was the official photographer and my husband was in charge of video. He carried it in an Eagle Creek bag, attached to his waist, facing front. He would take out the camera at will and when he was done, zip it up safely in the pouch. I'm not sure if this would be ok to do in Paris and Rome. I'll be going to those cities this year, as well, and was also wondering if it would be wise to use a camcorder.

Apr 1st, 1999, 10:54 AM
Sally

We have taken a small video camera all over Italy and France with no problem except for my husband absentmindedly putting it down somewhere(like on a wall) and forgetting it. That could (and has ) happen here.We have been lucky and found the camera each time, once when it was turned in at a police station in Volterra.I have become a little paranoid and frequently ask my husband if he has his camera!

Apr 1st, 1999, 01:07 PM
Doug

It used to be that when you took a camcorder on vacation, you stuck out as a Yank, but on our last trip to Germany and Austria it seemed like everyone had one. The latest versions are just as light and small as a 35mm camera. Our new Panasonic was worth every cent as we were able to record so many great memories. Be advised though that many of the museums and churches that used to only ban flash photography are now banning camcorders too. I guess they want to sell their own videos in the souvenir stands. I'd be extra careful carrying one in Paris or Rome though because of the crooks. Even if they don't peg you as American, they'll know you're some kind of tourist and probably carrying big bucks.

Apr 1st, 1999, 01:43 PM
anne

We take a little one along nearly every trip - and are glad we did! Several times in Paris with no problem, haven't been to Rome yet, but have taken it all over northern Italy - again, no problem. Be sure to take alot of stills as well - we've learned that we look at those more often and want to have lots of wonderful memories easily accessible.Take your time so you can get the pictures you want, but have time to just enjoy as well-looking without taking photos.

Apr 1st, 1999, 04:49 PM
Jay

Be sure to take it because you will want to relive the memories for years to come. But BE CAREFUL! We had a small bag containing our camcorder stolen from beneath our feet while checking into our hotel. Apparently we were spotted by the thief as tourists as we got off the bus from the airport and were followed to our hotel. The theft was captured on film by the hotel's security cameras, but the thief got away. It could have been avoided by never taking the camera bag off my neck. Learn from our mistake!