Reload this Page >

safe to bring the camcorder?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 08:03 AM
helene

I`ve done a lot of reading up on Spain as we are leaving Christmas to go to the sosta del sol near fuengirola and I have read of so many robberies and theft that I am afraid to bring our camcorder that I recently bought to film a part of our trip.I have travelled to China and Mexico and other foreign countries and taken the neccessary pracautions of wearing a money belt and keeping a close watch over our or my possessions...but what I`ve read on Spain with the pickpockets and thieves has really made me wonder if I have a chance with carrying a video camcorder around ? any advice or experience out there?

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Maira

Helene--- I've been to Spain several times and have never encountered any problems with thievery. That is not to say that there had not been legitimate concerns on the subject brought up by tourists who did, and some who did not, followed common sense safety practices. From MY experience, I brought a camcorder to Spain this last time and suffice to say, I will not leave home without it the next time. It captured so many special moments, sounds, sights, local events. No way to put into words. When in crowded public places we were very aware of our surroundings and of each other and maybe, we were lucky, but we had never experienced a problem with thieves.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Art

Hi Helene, I've carried a camcorder on all of my trips including cruises for the last 10 years (I was in Spain last Sept) and have not had any problems. Mosst fodorites do not carry camcorders but I agree with Maira, there are things best caught with a 35mm and other things best caught with a camcorder. <BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 05:24 AM
helene

thanks Maira and Art for the quick response!!I`m still not sure if I will be a sitting duck .Another question is if it would fit in the hotel safe?We plan to go to Morrocco as well for a fewe days, but are staying away from Madrid, we will probably go as far west as Cadiz see the Rhonda towns and as far east as Nerja.Probably the biggest city we will see is Granada. Am I right to beleive that crime is less on the rampage on the coast and in the smaller towns. I just notice that a lot of postings have to do with Madrid and Barcelona. It is really hard to keep a camcorder hidden, and when you are using it you are not really paying that much attention to whatever is developing around you. I am almost convinced to leave it at home Appreciate any responses.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 05:32 AM
alex

I have the same question as Helene as well: from reading this forum, the suggestions were "not look like tourist - in big city like Barcelona..." so that we won't be targeted. Doest that mean that we should not -let people see- that we're carrying camcorder, backpack ? <BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Art

Hi again, WE ARE TOURISTS. I think that what some people mean is do not look or act like an ugly tourist. If you love having pictures/film to relive your trips, you can not help looking like a tourist. Anyway, as soon as you open your mouth THEY WILL KNOW. Again, I have taken my camcorder everywhere including Morocco with no problems. I simply run the strap over my shoulder and neck. I also carry an old Canon A1 with 3 lens including a zoom telephoto. You can just not hide those things. I also carry my new Olympus 35mm with high speed film for indoor pictures on my in its holster on my belt. I also run the cort attached to the camera through my belt so that no one can grab the camera out of its holster and take off without pulling me along. Use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and stay alert. I was in Madrid Barcelona and Morocco and had zero problems. In short take your cameras, use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and ENJOY your vacation. <BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 06:16 PM
Pedro

I agree with Art. I live in Sevilla and ten or twelve years ago this beautiful city was a trap because of the robberies but not only for tourists... <BR>Now things have changed completely and you would be unlucky if you have any kind of problem. If you go touring the small towns on your own you also will be safer than in big cities. Ronda, but not only Ronda, the surroundings( Grazalema, Zahara,...) are really beautiful, I think it is a good option. Antequera and El Torcal Natural Park hikes are also good options if you rent a car.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 06:25 PM
Maira

Helene--- if you are planning to go into Morocco, specifically Tangier, TAKE A TOUR; THERE IS SAFETY IN NUMBERS. It would be worth your while to do a search on this forum on the subject.

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 09:03 AM
helene

thanks again Maira, Art,Alex, and Pedro...for all the useful imformation..tomorrow is the big day!!! I`m packed and ready to go...andlooking forward to our trip. One question though...we would probably rent a car in Morocco as I have read that the buses are far and few between, and advise you if you really want to see the country it is better in your own car...I never really like group tours too much as you are constantly restricted to an itinerary.So does safety in numbers mean that traveling just the two of us not such a great ideal?Anyhow I`m sure we`ll play it by ear when we get there ..and get a feel for the whole trip. So thanks again gang and wish us well!!!!

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 02:54 PM
Maira

Helene--- on my previous post, safety in numbers refered to the better alternative when touring Tangier, and specially the markets. Take common sense precautions and HAVE A GREAT TIME!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Liz

Europe is not really a den of thieves, pickpockets and robberies - honestly!. Its reputation as such is vastly overstated. <BR> <BR>I live in the UK, and my friends and I have travelled widely in Europe, over the last 20 years or so. In all that time, only one of my frinds has ever been pick-pocketed, outside the Coliseum in Rome (and he chased her and got his wallet back). <BR> <BR>As a European, I would have no hesitation at all in taking a camcorder to the Costa del Sol (always supposing I was a camcorder kind of person, which I'm not!). Just take the usual precautions - e.g. don't leave it on the beach unless someone is keeping an eye on it. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 06:45 AM
topper

to the top.