Search

safe hotel location in hungary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safe hotel location in hungary

hi-
my sister and i are in our 20's and planning a vacation for the week between christmas and new years. we were looking at the packages offered through eurorail. they give us options for the hotels and we were hoping you all might be able to help us. We would like a nice hotel, but it doesnt have to be super fancy. our main concern is that it is in a safe location. Can you please help us to decide between the following hotels? Thanks so much. Joanna

1. Hotel Erzsebet - Superior Room (comes standard)

Upgrade your Budapest hotel:
K+K Hotel Opera - Standard Room
Novotel Centrum Palace - Standard Room
Hotel Mercure Nemzeti - Standard Room
Andrassy Hotel - Superior Room
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Hi, I noticed your previous posts about Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah, Amsterdam and Prague,. Have you decided on a specific vacation destination?
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

hi-
yes we went to amsterdam last year for new years and it was fantastic. we took a train to brussels for a day. the year before we went to disneyworld. so we thought we would start a tradition.
this year hopefully prague, vienna and budapest.
:0) joanna
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Try this B&B, all the members of the host family speak English:

http://www.bellevuebudapest.com/inde...az=1&aaz=0
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 07:26 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the only hotel to stay in Budapest is the Budapest Marriott, with an authentic Hungarian ambience, (yes, really!) a wonderful daily pastry bar in the lobby, and fantastic Hungarian wines served in the bar. Their huge breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever had at any hotel. The staff is warm and very helpful. In the spring and summer, you can sit outdoors and admire the lovely Danube view of Gellert Hill and the Castle District. Or admire the view from your room with spacious balcony, particularly at night, when the Castle District is bathed in a golden glow. You don't even have to bring converter/adapters for your electrical appliances, as the hotel has an electrical socket strip that fits all the world's different voltages-just plug in your appliance as if you were at home! (So far, I haven't seen that at any other hotel).

The Budapest Marriott is within 5-15 minutes walking distance of shops, restaurants, the vaci utca (pedestrian shopping district) and the beautiful Opera House. The tram runs right in front of the hotel which can take you to the Parliament buildings and other destinations. The hotel is not inexpensive, however, you may be able to secure some good internet deals there during the time period in question. I was there last year, and loved it. Budapest would be especially beautiful during the Christmas season, with all the Christmas decorations-I saw some Christmas window displays going up last November along the vaci utca that used groupings of Hungarian dolls in ethnic dress-quite lovely.

As far as a "safe" location-I walked all around the Castle District and the Andrassy utca at night and never encountered anything that I would even remotely consider problematic for women.

Of the hotels you have listed, I would choose the K & K Hotel Opera, which is located adjacent to the Opera House, and within walking distance of many wonderful coffeehouses and restaurants -also near the subway
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:39 PM

I second the Marriott-definitely not inexpensive, but worth every penny. The view and location is super.