safe hotel choice

Search

safe hotel choice

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safe hotel choice

We are staying 1 week in Paris this August, and have never been there before. Our prime concern is a safe clean hotel that is close (within 1 block) to a metro station. We are considering Novotel Les Halles, Hotel de Saint Germain, and Jardin Odeon (Atel). Does anyone have any comments or other suggestions? Other posts suggest the area of Halles is not safe. Are the others safer?

Thank you!
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I know of Hotel St Germain and I stayed in Jardin l' Odeon in March. Both are in very safe areas and very nicely located areas. I would not stay near Les Halles myself as I too have heard that there are some problems at night in that area. Its also just not as nice IMO.

Jardon Odeon was close to Metro Odeon, near Luxembourg Gardens, and very convenient. It was clean as a whistle and the staff were helpful, polite, able to speak english, and politely tolerated my butchered attempts at French. The only negative was that the beds were very firm and I found them uncomfortable. So, if you like a really cushy mattress, it could be a problem.

But otherwise, very safe and right in the heart of the 6th.
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I, too, would choose the Jardin de l' Odeon particularly for the neighborhood as I have not stayed in that particular hotel. However, I know the 6th district is very safe even in the late evening.
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM

If you are referring to Hotel St. Germain on rue de bac, it is a wonderful area and a great street. Love that hotel.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM

The Hotel de Danube at 58 Rue Jacob is a favorite of mine. Excellent location too.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM

The du Danube is our very favorite too, we've stayed there 8 or 9 times BUT even I wouldn't stay there in August..No A/C!.. I'd opt for any air conditioned place in the 6th over the Les halles area.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info Jody. I've been to Paris and the du Danube a number of times but never in the summer. I frankly never noticed the lack of AC. The hotel is the kind that matches my fantasy of what a small Paris hotel should be like.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:54 AM

We always go in October thru March so it has never been a problem for us either!I'm just about to call and talk to Francois and book for October...cannot wait!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM

Funny...I thought a firm bed was most desirable especially all the walking one does in Paris and the need for back support at night.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM

i think beds are a personal thing. I absolutely die with a firm bed - its torture. while others probably dont like a cushy bed.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM

We just got back from 1 wk in Paris. Loved our hotel ! Very safe.

Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche - very close to everything, including the Metro, Notre Dame, the Latin Quarter, the Seine, many cute little bistros right nearby.

Quaint, clean, front desk helpful & spoke English. Small rooms (of course) but bathroom very modern & clean, blow dryer. Every room has it's own bathroom & there is an elevator.

We paid 167.00 Euros per night, and there is an optional breakfast for 11 Euros - delicious orange juice, coffee & croissants.

at St. Jacques & St. Germain

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:11 PM

All areas of Paris with hotels are safe.

All hotels in Paris are within one block of a Métro station (because all points in the city are within one block of a Métro station).

The low-numbered arrondissements are the most centrally located. The worst locations for a hotel are in the northeast of the city, where there are virtually no tourist sights (although everything is within reach of the Métro, so sometimes one can get good deals in this part of town if one doesn't mind frequent Métro rides).
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:12 PM

I just realized that you said August. Air conditioning is mandatory in August, if you don't want to risk ruining your vacation.