Ryan Air & Aer Lingus transfers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to take Aer Lingus from Boston to Dublin round trip because it's so much cheaper but I'll also be going to Rome. Ryan Air has a flight that is scheduled to arrive in Dublin from Rome at 12:05PM. Aer Lingus is scheduled to leave for Boston at 2:45 PM. Is this enough time to be safe or should I arrive in Dublin the day before.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:48 AM

If your RyanAir is on time you will have plenty of time to do some duty free shopping. Dublin airport is very compact so with 2 hours 40 minutes, you have more than enough time. You will have to check in at the AerLingus counter. I'm not sure if they have a transfer desk airside so you may have to leave the secure area to check in. Either way, you have plenty of time.

The problem is this. If the RyanAir flight is very late or cancelled, your separate AerLingus ticket <b>MAY</b> be useless (depending on the fare rules). AerLingus won't care why you missed your flight if you do happen to miss it.

Also, be aware of the RyanAir checked luggage rules and fees. Check their web site for all the details. Do not assume that somehow you can get around the rules. You won't.....

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Exactly! That is my concern that Ryanair will be late. Does anyone know their track record for timliness?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 09:27 AM
rex

Maybe I am over-applying a thought process that I use in the practice of medine, but there are questions for which <i><u>probability</u></i> shapes a decision, and there are questions for which the more relevant question is: &quot;what are the <i><u>stakes</u></i>?&quot;

Low probability doesn't matter (sufficiently) when the stakes are dangerously high.

Doesn't Aer Lingus have a Rome-Dublin flight that would work? That would lower the stakes enough to proceed with a reasonable probability of making a connection.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Ryanair has an excellent on-time record, 90% or so. I'm not sure what their cancellation or substantially late statistic is.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:22 PM

We booked AerLingus all the way to Italy, through Dublin. As a low cost airline, it seemed a good alternative to RyanAir, which seemed to me to be a bit of a hassle. Check AerLingus Dublin/Rome.