Rural Scotland in 6 days

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rural Scotland in 6 days

Give us an itinerary from Glasgow for 50yr. old couple who like off the beaten paths,scenery,good food,drink and true native characters. Must stay in a castle one night in exchange for me to go fishing for Northern Pike. Night life optional. Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM

If you head out from Glasgow in any direction you will be able to be in rural Scotland for six days and meet your requirements. I don't know about Castles but good food and drink is easily come by. I think "true native characters" is an odd turn of phrase. Decide on an area you think you will like, go to Scotland and then enjoy!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Danna I guess I meant to say to be away from the tourist trap areas. Now which direction would you suggest and what and where are the Highlands
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:07 PM

OK - instead of us re-inventing the wheel, first of all do a basic search. There are literally hundreds of threads already here about the highlands of Scotland with many suggested itineraries and castle hotels.

Beware of those "true native characters" . . . .
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Janis That is the problem,there are so many threads that we get confused and thought that ones directed to us would help us with a plan to celebrate our first trip to Scotland
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:59 AM

Hi Carrie,

My wife and I are mid 50's.

Three years ago we did a 10 day swing through Northern Scotland. The memorable places were Edinburgh, St Andrews (I'm a golfer) and Plockton (way up in the Northwest).

We always do one night in a 'castle' or other historical accommodation, but found the choices in Scotland limited (or we didn't look in the right places); and were disappointed with our 'castle' choice.

A North-Northwest swing through Scotland will provide scenery, good food/drink and the opportunity to meet local people.

My wife and I agree the Irish and Scots are the friendliest folks on earth. And Plockton was one of our greatest 'finds' in our European travels.

Have a great time. Hope the fishing is good.

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:19 AM

carrie1, here is one resource for finding castle accommodations in Scotland.

http://www.visitscotland.com/accommo...?view=Standard

We stayed at Carriden House, which isn't really a castle, but a 400-year-old manor house near the Firth of Forth. We also inquired about staying at Balcardine Castle near Oban, but couldn't make the dates work.

As far as your itinerary, well, we found that it is hard to go wrong. We covered 1,300 miles in eight days, mostly outside of the cities, and the scenery was spectacular everywhere. We have a full trip report on this site, including a link to our pictures, in case it is helpful with any ideas. You can find it by clicking on my screen name above and scrolling down to find the post called '12 spectacular days...'
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Okay, make that Barcaldine Castle....

I really shouldn't try to do anything before having my morning coffee.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Try www.celticcastles.com for information on accommodations in castles and old manor homes.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:39 PM
ody

Pitlochry is a bit touristy but the Atholl Palace Hotel is nearly a castle with good views from the restaurant and the fishing is great. check out the salmon ladder. The theatre is pretty and good food too.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Carrie... I suggest heading to the southwest. It doesn't get the number of visitors as the highlands. I know you can fish for pike there. I still don't know about castles tho. I really do suggest that you not search for an itinerary but rather find an area that you think you'd like and go stay there. Everywhere in Scotland is a grand place to be hanging out for 6 days.