Running of the Bulls

Search

Running of the Bulls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running of the Bulls

A friend and I are planning to go to Northern Spain this July for 10 days, mainly because she wants to experience the running of the bulls in Pamplona, a bucket list item for her.

There is a ton of excellent information on this forum about visiting San Sebastian, Bilbao, etc., and I will dive into it as we plan the trip.

My question is about the best way to see the Running of the Bulls — we will be there mid-week to avoid the crowds, and want to reserve a balcony for the viewing. Does anyone have suggestions on the best options? How does one book a balcony? An online search only showed some very pricey packages for a 2-night stay plus one viewing. We will be there only for a night.

Any tips on where to stay in the city are also welcome. We will likely take a bus/train from San Sebastián.

Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by reddy2go2
A friend and I are planning to go to Northern Spain this July for 10 days, mainly because she wants to experience the running of the bulls in Pamplona, a bucket list item for her.

There is a ton of excellent information on this forum about visiting San Sebastian, Bilbao, etc., and I will dive into it as we plan the trip.

My question is about the best way to see the Running of the Bulls — we will be there mid-week to avoid the crowds, and want to reserve a balcony for the viewing. Does anyone have suggestions on the best options? How does one book a balcony? An online search only showed some very pricey packages for a 2-night stay plus one viewing. We will be there only for a night.

Any tips on where to stay in the city are also welcome. We will likely take a bus/train from San Sebastián.

Thanks in advance.
The best way to see the about 3 minute running? From a balcony!!!! We’ve been attending for 20 years, my husband since 1972.
We secure our balconies from Incomingnavarra.com
It’s a Pamplona based company in business for 30 some years, formerly called Erreka, all local residents. They organized our wedding in Pamplona.

As far as places to stay, be prepared for sticker shock, ad hotel rates are sky high. We’ve had our reservations for months, and in the vast majority of cases stays are non-refundable.

The hotels in the Old Quarter will be noisy, since they are in the center of the festival action, 24 hour revelry. We are staying at the
Eurostars Pamplona, away from the party central with parking but it’s extremely pricey, as are most hotels during the fiesta. The Eurostars is the former Alma de Belosa, very recently rebranded. But again, hotel rates are extremely high and balcony space expensive as well.

Last edited by Maribel; Mar 28th, 2024 at 10:11 AM.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 10:57 AM

I meant former Alma MUGA de Belosa. Because of a former job, I’m familiar with all the Pamplona hotels, so if you have questions about their location, just ask.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Maribel. I am sure I will have more questions about the rest of our trip as well, but in the meantime, thanks for feedback about Pamplona.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 02:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I was there in September a few years ago. I stayed at Palacio Guendulain in the historic center. It was 468 euros for 3 nights. That may have included parking, I don’t remember. This was during the St. Fermin festival without the running of the bulls.

Listen to Maribel! She’s an expert on Spain!
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 02:33 AM

The Palacio Guendulain, alas, is no longer a hotel. I used to use it and we had our breakfasts there, but it has gone back to the private ownership of the aristocratic family.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 11:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maribel
The Palacio Guendulain, alas, is no longer a hotel. I used to use it and we had our breakfasts there, but it has gone back to the private ownership of the aristocratic family.
Thats a shame, it was such a lovely hotel!
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 05:33 AM

It really was a beautiful hotel filled with antique furniture, paintings, even antique carriages. We were very sorry when it closed, as it was a perfect place to stay during the Sanfermines and at any other time during the year. Such an elegant mansion.

Last edited by Maribel; Mar 30th, 2024 at 05:45 AM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We are leaning towards staying in San Sebastián and taking a day tour from there that will take us to Pamplona in time for the running of the bulls. It includes a ticket to a balcony with breakfast, and a few sites in the city. Much more reasonable than a hotel in Pamplona.

I will report back on the adventure!