Reload this Page >

Running in Italy?

Search

Running in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 09:48 AM
Jennifer

Running in Italy?

I'm an avid runner and would like stick with my routine during a 3-week trip to Italy: Florence/Tuscany, Venice, Lakes and Rome. Is it safe/possible for a female to run outside in these cities? Or I am better off finding a hotel with a treadmill? Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Ralphie

Good question. I have heard a horror story about a nun getting approached and harrassed while walking alone from one village to another in central Italy. <BR> <BR>However, I would like to think that running in Venice would not be a problem. I once saw young girls running together in Venice (although they were in a group). The stairs on the bridges would be good step-training, and the lack of vehicles would be a major plus. This means no one could attempt to force you into a car. Since you are an avid runner, you'd be able to outrun almost any attacker, who would likely be wearing dress shoes & long pants, and carrying a cigarette.

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 05:59 AM
cp

The August copy of Runners World has an article about running in Florence, complete with recommendations on when and where to run.

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 06:02 AM
cp

The August edition of Runners World has an article on running in Florence, complete with recommendations on when and where to run.

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 12:40 PM
kam

Think the Borghese Gardens would be a good place in Rome. Ask at each hotel you stay in what they would recommend. I think it would be a shame to look for treadmills in Italy.

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 08:00 PM
Jennifer

Thank you for your advice. Although I know Ill be getting a lot of walking in, it's just not the same as running for me, but my husband, who is not a runner, is very concerned about me running alone. I guess he's heard too many horror stories. I understand his concern and certainly don't want to be an easy target. It looks like I'll be searching for hotels with treadmills and see the sights at a slower pace! We'll see how things go once we arrive in each city and get a feel for the surroundings. Regardless, it's going to be an amazing trip! <BR> <BR>Thanks all, Jennifer

Old Aug 30th, 1999, 11:02 PM
April

Why not take one of those small hand-held alarms? I sometimes take one with me on my runs. Never have had to use it, but it makes me feel better. On the other hand, I've found that missing running on vacation was no big deal since it was easy to resume when back at home. <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 05:43 AM
hamlet

In Florence it would probably be nice to run along the Arno, then cross the river at some point and then run back on the other side. I think the streets of Florence are just too congested to have a good run there. Someone once told me that she went running laps around Piazza San Marco in Venice but then a police officer stopped her and said she couldn't run in front or as close to the Basilica because of the shorts she was wearing. In Rome you could run laps around Circus Maximus, there are people playing (what else?) soccer in the field or laying out, etc. I don't think safety is an issue, especially if you're fast enough! My friend who ran in Venice said the Italians just looked at her and called her crazy - they weren't used to seeing someone in such a "hurry." By the way, I've packed my running gear for many a vacation only to bring it home completely untouched - power to you.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:49 PM
Nancy

You're on vacation, give it and your body a rest. Your husband doesn't run and is concerned about your safety, why make him worry needlessly. Relax, walk, eat good food, drink good wine. I ran college track and if you are an avid runner and in good shape, the 3 week lay off will do you a lot of good and it won't take long to get back up to your fitness level. Enjoy your vacation!

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 02:40 PM
abby

Hi Jennifer, I also am an avid runner and it really freaks me out when I cannot go, as I almost go everyday. <BR>I have noticed when I do go on holidays and take time off from running, when I do get back into my running routine I get stronger than I was before. <BR>So this is just something to think about. I will also be in italy for 3 weeks and have been debating the same thing as you! I probably will not be running and just make up for it when I get back! have a great time

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 07:34 PM
Jennifer

Wow - although I am a die-hard, I must admit, the advice posted since my last writing on the 31st has been very helpful. I haven't taken more than a week off at one time, so three weeks seems like forever. I'm not so much concerned with getting out of shape as I am with maintaing the balance that running brings me. After a couple days without a run, I start getting going loopy. <BR> <BR>Abby - you said you feel this way too, how do you feel after a week without a run? <BR> <BR>My husband wholeheartedly agrees with you all that a break would do a lot of good for me. He obviously wants me to *enjoy* the vacation and relaxation and stresses that we will be getting a lot of walking exercise. I understand and will do my best not to make an issue out of it. <BR> <BR>Actually, it is only the second half of our trip that I'm concerned about, as our hotel for the first nine days has a gym. I hope that includes a treadmill! <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your viewpoints! ~jennifer <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 12:54 AM
abby

Hi Jennifer, <BR>To tell you the truth I think the stress I put on myself about not running is what makes me feel sloppy! <BR>I have taken 2 weeks off before when on holiday. If you can just stop thinking about it, the stress of not going does go away. You are in great shape, believe 3 weeks is not going to turn you into a flabby slob. I really have noticed I get stronger after I have to take time off! Basically you just have to put it out of your mind walk a lot and get back into it asap when you get home. <BR>As you can see I am psyching myself up as much as you! I don't really want to take the time off either, but you just can't let it rule your life. <BR>Have a great time, Abby