"Half Board" Definition?

Search

"Half Board" Definition?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Half Board" Definition?

What exactly does "Half Board" refer to? I keep reading this in reference to getting a deal on hotel stays in Florence/Siena (Palazzo Ravizza in Siena to be specific). Is this a negotiating strategy?

While I'm at it, anyone know of any other good hotels in Siena that "half board"?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:08 PM
rex

Room and brekfast is as it sounds.

"Half board" adds one meal (lunch OR dinner).

"Full board" adds both meals.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:32 PM

It's nothing to do with a negotiating strategy, just an option for including meals with your room. It's generally a bargain for both you and the hotel, as you know where you'll be dining, and the hotel is guaranteed a diner.

In remote or small towns especially this sort of arrangment can give you an instant sense of belonging: the dining room staff know you, they'll have kept your half bottle of wine from the previous evening waiting for you, you'll be asked for your opinion re this or that world event...all very civilized.

You do run the risk of the food being absolutely dreadful, but I've never had that happen; these are generally some of the best meals of the trip, probably because ones expectations are held in check.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:49 AM

What? Someone will have wine left over from a previous evening?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:23 AM

I've always found that it means dinner (and breakfast) rather than lunch (and breakfast). Personally, I avoid these deals like the plague because part of my enjoyment is eating at different places in the evening, and researching the nicest restaurants in the area. It seems very unadventurous to just eat in the hotel.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:38 AM

I have found that it normally inlcudes dinner rather than lunch, but not always.

I too avoid these "deals" if I can. A couple of experiences (one half-board and one full-board) was more than enough to put me off. Too many of these places present pretty much the same food on a rota every few days so you get the same types of things coming round again and again.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:03 AM

It's definately from my experience in Europe Dinner and Breakfast inclusive.

Not all are bad options. The Abbey Glen in Clifton, Ireland had a half board for 2 nights and its was the nicest meal e had on out week away. I would not do this for the whole trip though as it can also be a bit boring after a few days.

We also had half board skiing in Austria and while the food was great the first night....it was awful every night after and we stopped eating there and spent extra on meals out.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
" It seems very unadventurous to just eat in the hotel."

Maybe at some hotels. However, having stayed at Palazzo Ravizza, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the hotel. Charming dining room and the food was terrific.

I had the same experience at La Badia near Orvieto.

I love trying new restaurants in every city, and sometimes they can even be at a hotel.

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:14 AM

We are taking half board at our hotel in Lugano during a trip next month. It depends on the place; we did this at our honeymoon hotel (the Snowvillage Inn in Snowville, NH) and had lovely meals each night. Your Siena hotel has gotten good reviews and if you'll be trying restaurants elsewhere during your Italian trip, it sounds like an ok deal.

MaiTaiTom: I know you are a Lemoncello fan, may we respectully add the drink below to your cocktail list?

I've got a cold and have been taking a fizzy codeine tablet mixed with water. It has a yucky fake lemon taste. Solution: my husband added a generous shot of Lemoncello and eccola! The Codello is born. The combined effect of codeine and Lemoncello is almost worth getting sick for..
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Solution: my husband added a generous shot of Lemoncello and eccola! The Codello is born. The combined effect of codeine and Lemoncello is almost worth getting sick for.."

Better living through chemicals. Back in my younger years when I was disc jockey, I had a terrible cold. One of my listeners said to shoot a syringe full of tequila into a grapefruit. I didn't sound any better, but I thought I did.

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Regarding taking or not taking half board, I think a lot depends on the length of your stay. I've been forced to do half-board in a few places in the height of season. If only staying one night and the restaurant is supposed to be good, then that's OK, but a week at one place with half-board -- Never! Not even if it is the best place to eat in town, I like more variety that that.
Italy in particular does seem to often offer you a choice of lunch or dinner for the second meal of half-board.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I couldn't believe it when I stayed at the Hotel Lido in Madeira - I booked half board, I got half a bed, half a wardrobe, half a chair - at least the bath was in one piece!