Search

rude french?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:26 PM
norman

rude french?

I keep being reminded that the french are rude and particularly dislike Americans and British. <BR>Is this true? <BR>I am a regular guy, who makes an effort in speaking the local languages and do not consider myself loud etc. <BR>I would also like advice on American speaking hotels as I am travelling by myself. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Rich

<BR> <BR>Absolutely untrue . . perhaps years ago there was resentment towards "outsiders", particularly obnoxious ones, but that is in the past. The problem is that unfavorable news dies hard and the myth is perpetuated, in my experience, by those who have never been to France. <BR> <BR>As in most places, treat them with respect and you will get respect in return. Treat them with disdain, you'll get that in return also. Sure there will be the odd exception, but that happens everywhere cultures mix. <BR> <BR>Relax, with your attitude, you will have no problems! <BR> <BR>Rich

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:48 PM
alouette

In general, the people in service positions (i.e., those that are taking your money) will be cordial. It's the rest of the french who won't go out of their way to be hospitable. Of course, there are exceptions. I have been to France many times and admire a lot about their country. And I have French friends, here and there. But it's not a unique perception. At the airport I overheard an American businessman tell some younger travelers: "The more you travel, the more you realize that the French don't like Americans." So take it with a grain of salt. They'll even admit it themselves. <BR>Most hotels have english speaking staff, so that should be no problem.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Sheila

I would just like to point out that it is the English the French (allegedly) hate, not the Scots. We are proud of the Auld Alliance

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Legally

Who else smells a troll? <BR>"American speaking hotels"? <BR>(Good thing this note is written in "American" so I can understand it. But don't tell the Brits we've decided that it's our language now) <BR>"I keep being reminded French hate Americans"? (reminded, as though it's a fact, just reconfirming).

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 01:37 PM
abc

To Legally Blonde: I think the initial question said "dislike", not "hate". And Sheilla made a joke, using the word "hate". Why escalate the rhetoric? That's trolling in itself.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:19 PM
mimi taylor

Norman, if you are nice, you will meet nice people and pleeee-ze don"t stay at an american hotel or perfectly speaking innkeepers.You'll miss the whole french experience. I went twice bymyself, I don't drive not fluent in the language but I still met many French people and several I still visit. Remember to always say, s'il vous plait, merci beaucoup, and always, always, bonjour madame or whatever and you will be repected. Unlike here, when you are at breakfast, be it a hotel or chambre d'hote, the french always say good morning, when you pass than on a trail, it's bon jour. It's a wonderful way of life. The Americans who give us a bad rap, are the ones who dress indecent, speak loudly, and complain about some of the best food you can ever have, because it's different for them. There is also the problem with plumbing. Once I went to the toilet and couldn't figure out how to flush(there are so many ways like th karma sutra) so I waited outside until someone else approached, not wanting to be a terrible person to leave behind my visit to their loo. I explained in sign language followed by the howling laughter of understanding. They love you if you are honest and make the attempt.If you are going to France and I know where I could give you more advice.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:50 PM
troller

The French are wonderful to anyone who is polite so I agree with the previous poster. All major cities are filled with rude people, especially in retail. New York L.A. Boston, Chicago. Most of the chic shops have the snottiest sales staff, and they don't live near their job, never shopped there before being hired.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Diane

I recommend reading Polly Platt's French or Foe? for an insight into the French---how and why they act the way they do, how they see us, etc.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:44 AM
just

On the train, Cannes to Geneva, one American woman got on at Marseille and walked up to a young man (French) and said (in English) "you're in my seat. I have seat xxxx" He showed her his ticket, which was for the seat he was in, but got up and moved to another seat so this woman could have "her" seat. This woman did not say "thank you". Her companion, about 30 min later, called from several seats away, "you're actually in seat yyyy, if it matters", to which the first woman shrugged her shoulders and threw up her hands. <BR> <BR>Then when it their stop, the first woman turned around and started pushing the bag of the man behind her so she could get her suitcase through (he was getting off at the same stop and the bag was sticking out a couple of inches from under his feet). <BR> <BR> <BR>Other lovely examples of American warmth: <BR> <BR>I heard one woman ask if a waiter (in France) spoke English (no), Italian (no), German (no). She then said, "well what language DO you speak?" <BR> <BR>I gave an American couple metro fare one day. The husband thanked me profusely and tried to give it back. The wife turned on her heel and said, "if she wants to give it to us, we'll take it." No "thank you", no nothing (wish I could have just given HIM the metro fare and made the wife find her own way). <BR> <BR>Rude French? Ask a French person for directions. Did that once -- the person asked didn't know, but then proceeded to stop two other people to find out. How about the lady who owns a shop down the street from us -- she speaks hardly a word of English, but her face lights up every time we come in and she shows us all her postcards she brought back from her US travels? Or the waiter who asked if my husband was ok when I was eating lunch by myself one day (that was one of our "regular" places)? <BR> <BR>I'll take the "rude French" over the "hospitable southerners" who called us "Yankees".

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:58 AM
cmt

Not true. I actually had the impression that they LIKED Americans, but weren't gushy about it. I did hear a little anti-British talk in the Dordogne, but it wasn't terrible, almost like affectionate ridicule (though I wouldn't have liked being the butt of it). I did, however, hear a fair amount of anti-German comment, and there was nothing affectionate about it. <BR> <BR>P.S. The above is based on very limited recent experience in Provence and the Dordogne both alone and with small American groups led by French guides and in Paris by myself.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 08:00 AM
cmt

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I found the French to be extremely polite. My experiences were not deep, long or complex enough for me to comment on how genuine the courtesy was, but it ceertainly was pleasant to be treated so politely.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Tangata

I am reminded of when an English friend of mine, who speaks fluent French, hired a villa in the south of France for a month. The first night he went into the local bar and ordered a drink; he got it but nobody spoke to him. The second night the same thing happened. <BR> <BR>On the third evening, when the waiter brought him his drink he said “I think it is a bit rough that nobody will talk to me, just because I’m English” <BR> <BR>The waiter looked at him in horror, “Monsieur is English, we thought you were Parisian.” <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 09:11 AM
e

Hello Norman: <BR>Absolutely untrue. I have been to France many times and find people in <BR>France to be very helpful But you need <BR>to make a attempt to speak some French <BR>even if tour pronunciation is incorrect. <BR>They like you to try but then many <BR>do speak english well. <BR>Go there as it is one of the best <BR>countries to see and bring a phrase <BR>book. I had a Rick Steves book that worked out fine. <BR> Have fun El <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Ben

I have had the pleasure of doing business in Europe the past few years with groups of French and English partners. Both were very gracious to me (an American) but regularly attacked each other over the EU.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 03:01 AM
dave the brit

French and english fight like two cats in a sack (i'm english) but actually get on fine really. Both are ambivelent towards americans, or more acurately america. <BR> <BR>Parisians are notoriously rude, but then so are londoners (i'm a londoner, so there.) THis is because we know that we don't have to try too hard to attract tourists and customers (including our own nationals). THose of us who are used to dealing with tourists soon come to see them as a nuisance, but i suspect this is true in all service industries with regard to staff/customer relations. <BR> <BR>Get out of the capitals and you will find both nationalities friendly, if a little reserved or over demonstrative (you'll have to guess which one's which). <BR> <BR>dave

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 04:07 AM
Florence

Sir Humphrey: Why do you suppose we went into it (the EC)? <BR>Jim: To strengthen the brotherhood of free western nations. <BR>Sir Humphrey: Oh really, we went in to screw the French by splitting them off from the Germans. <BR>Jim: Why did the French go into it then? <BR>Sir Humphrey: Well to protect their inefficient farmers from commercial competition. <BR>Jim: It certainly doesn't apply to the Germans. <BR>Sir Humphrey: Well no, they went in to cleanse themselves of genocide and apply for readmission to the human race. <BR>Jim: I never heard such appalling cynicism. <BR>Yes Minister - The Devil You Know <BR> <BR>Negotiating with the French is the bane of a British Government's life. The last time we really got our own way with them was the battle of Waterloo. (Sir Humphrey Appleby) - Yes Prime Minister <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Lynn

I've been to France several times, and always tried to speak French. One clerk at a Paris department store was rude and impatient as I tried to explain what I wanted. A clerk in Verdun was amused by my efforts, but very kind and helpful. I have had very pleasant and friendly conversations with other French people I have met. On the other hand, workers at CDG - especially the TWA employees - were extremely rude to me and to my elderly parents on the one trip I took with them. Otherwise, I've never had problems. As noted, be courteous, respectful and try to speak the language with good humor, and you'll usually receive courtesy in return.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:14 AM
sandi

If you are in London during the summer,and especially since the 'Chunnel' opened, you will find gaggles of French, pushing their way to the front of the queue, throwing trash on the sidwalk, argueing loudly with everyone and each other, etc. It's easy to spot them...they are mostly young and noisy. However, I don't think all french are this waY, just as the most visable Americans abroad are not necessarily a cross sample of our people. Just be aware,that they have no concept of the queue--and the basic British sense of fair play is totally non existant.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Pepe Lepew

Ve French are not, how you say, "rude"? But ve are cowards. Just ask the Bosch how ve roll over on our backs for zem whenever zay treaten us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -