Search

Rude Customs Agents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rude Customs Agents

Anyone have any experiences to share?

OK, I'll start...When my sister and I returned to Toronto from Paris, the agent asked us what we did for a living then wanted to know who paid for our trip!

Another time we were on a family vacation with our parents going accross the border at Detroit...

Agent: where are you going?
Us: Detroit airport.
Agent: Flying where?
Us: Vegas
Agent: (with the best scowl she could muster) WHAT'S IN VEGAS!

duh! it's really hard for sarcastic people like me to keep their mouths shut in these situations.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Let me suggest that a letter to your Congressman will help. I ran into similar treatment in Calgary, and I sent a complaint to my Congressman.
I got a phone call from the head guy in Calgary. He was a little upset.
But the letter got results.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Answer simply and truthfully: don't rise to the bait.
M
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:23 AM
ira

Hi lucy,

My I respectfully suggest that anyone with the authority to delay, if not destroy, your trip couldn't possibly be rude - no matter what?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

ira - HA! how right you are..I should have posted my title heading as "Ray of Sunshine Customs Agents"
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Well, rude is one thing. Threatening behavior that implies physical violence is another.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:56 AM

I have an experience with rudeness about 15 times a year when I enter St. Maarten, Dutch West Indies...aka.."The Friendly Island." What a joke.

Sour puss faces that barely acknowledge you are there as they aggravatingly stamp your documents and try their hardest to let you know by their scowls that they aren't necessarily glad you are entering their country. And, if they decide to give you a hard time, then the fun REALLY starts.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:57 AM

I've never had a particularly rude Customs agent, but I've had some odd run-ins with the Agriculture guys, most notably the woman at JFK some years ago who took a look at a jar of goose fat I was bringing in, asked what it was, and when told, shrieked "GOOSE FAT - EEEUUUWWW!" Then she proceeded to parade the jar around to the other agents making disgusting faces and saying "it's amazing the things people wanna get away with." After looking through a tome of about 12,000 pages she declared "We're gonna have to keep this," then gave me a long lecture in a conspiratorial tone about how "over there" in Europe the standards of hygiene were terrible and if you wanted to stay healthy you'd really better not travel there.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:27 PM

I forgot about a time that a friend and I were going thru San Juan and she got a real winner for an agent.

The lady ransacked her baggage opening all of her expensive cosmetics and putting the lids on haphazardly, so they all spilled. She threw her clothes around and treated her like a criminal. Then, she took her into a back room and interrogated her about some checks she was planning to deposit into her account in the US. Come to find out, it was perfectly legal since they were endorsed. She also had two types of currency on her since we'd been overseas and the agent shouted at her while throwing the money in her face, "What the heck is this?"

They would not allow me to stay with her even though we were traveling together. Being that my friend is not American, she was pretty frightened. The whole episode was uncalled for and could have been handled in a better manner.

After our return, I wrote the management of the Customs Departement in San Juan stating that we realize they have a job do do, but it is not necessary to treat someone like a criminal until they are proven to be one. I was only sorry I neglected to get the agents badge number.

I actually got an apologetic letter back and was told to carry it with me whenever I entered San Juan in the future. Needless to say, this was before 9/11, but I was very pleased they took the time to respond to the incident.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM
hsv

A couple of years ago upon entry into the U.S. at San Juan/ Puerto Rico airport flying in from Barbados:
There was only one line at immigration that did not read "U.S. citizens only" which I lined up at (not being a U.S. citizen). The guy worked the line but when it would have been my turn anounced that his line was closed. Thus, I lined up at a U.S. citizens only line, as there was no alternative. The guy there refused to handle my immigration, though, and sent me to a third counter, which was U.S. citizens only, too. From there I was sent back to the first guy, who again simply refused to handle my immigration for whatever reason.
Being stranded in the transfer area of the airport and in need to catch a transfer flight on to New York, I complained to an American Airlines ground agent who entered into a heated discussion in Spanish with the guy from that International Immigration Counter. Finally, but still very unwillingly he agreed to check my passport. It was ridiculous but the most humiliating aspect was that I just could not tell that guy what I thought of his behaviour as I was dependant on their willingness to let me enter.
Whereas I usually enjoy travelling to the U.S. they certainly won't see me (and my money without wanting to sound arrogant) again in Puerto Rico.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:41 PM
hsv

Statia,

while I was typing on my post, you "overtook" me here - so glad I am not the only victim to San Juan officials!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Yes, hsv, it seems San Juan has some bad ones at times. I will admit, however, that I haven't had a problem in the past few years.

Their baggage handling process is another story, though. I've had many missed connections due to my bags taking an hour or more to arrive.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 01:13 PM
hsv

Statia,

as the heading was focused on Customs Agents, I did not bother to go into the fact that after I had finally passed customs, my luggage was lost, so I know exactly what you are talking about.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Never had such an experience, thank goodness! I did once excitedly show a customs agent the earrings I was wearing, which I had just bought in Prague. He just looked at me like I was off another planet. hee hee.

Another time, an immigrations guy in London was checking me in and felt the need to tell me all about how his wife is from Houston, and how they are thinking of moving to the States and maybe starting their own business, but didn't know if they should move to Houston and couldn't decide what kind of business would be appropriate, and.... let me tell you, that line behind me was growing by the minute and I was getting nervous! But the guy was pleasant, nonetheless.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 03:07 PM

I travel to Ireland quite frequently.
There's an 'off again, on again' thing with Irish bacon and sausage that they sell at Shannon's Duty Free area: One day they will wrap the meats with a USDA seal & certificate; another time they will not.
When I get to U.S. Custome & USDA at my U.S, Port of Entry and declare the items, the first thing the Examiner says is: "you can't enter that!" But when they see a USDA seal they let it pass. What turns me off is to have semi-literate examiners making summary decisions on issues that are beyond their knowledge or comprehension. Their first response is always: "No!" They think that's what they are paid for. And too many of us, American Citizens, accept their summary (and erroneous) calls!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Fortunately, I've never had any of the bad experiences reported. In Miami, at Immigration, they always tell me "Welcome home", and Customs waves me right through! Oh, I forgot, when I flew into Kennedy from France, every airport employee I encounted was very rude, even when I asked for simple directions to my connecting flight. I decided then to try to never fly through Kennedy again - hopefully.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Frankly, U.S. Customs agents have always been very courteous with me. I've never had a problem.

But on one occasion, I checked off "Yes" on the form that asked if I had been on a farm overseas, since we had stayed at an Italian farm for part of our trip (part of the "agritourism" industry). This got me sent off to have my shoes fumigated, or something like that. I never found out exactly what they intended to do, because when we got to that station, their computer was down, so they just waved us on through.

OK, I see, we protect ourselves against pests that tourists might bring in, unless the computer is down, in which case, don't bother.

A lawyer once told me about a case in which some Caribbean fruit pest suddenly surfaced in California. The area of infestation was quickly surrounded and blitzed with insecticide, and it was gotten under control. But in this case, unlike most, the pest was traced to its source - an American tourist who had brought back an interesting seed he found on his vacation. The lawyer who told me this story had prosecuted him on behalf of the government, and won the case. The tourist was held accountable for the full cost of the cleanup.

- Larry
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Hi - anyone who has experiences with agriculture employees now need to contact Homeland Security about all this. They now assume we are all terrorists; before they assumed we were all idiots or criminals.

Larry - I worked for PPQ (Plant Protection and Quarantine, APHIS, USDA) and was always amazed at how they could discover who did what and when. I think the pest has markers that identify exact place they are from, dates of finds are very indicative, etc. I remember when they traced fruit flies to someone in the Tampa area. Science is amazing - and scary!! But I will say that the people I worked with at PPQ were wonderful, hard-working, and quite successful in spite of their (lack of) leadership at HQ and region. Hopefully they will remain the same now that they work for DHS and carry guns.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I know of a couple who picked up a hitchhiker enroute back to Canada from the US in Washington State. At the border crossing, the couple answered the questions as asked. However, their passenger, sitting in the back, replied to many of the questions with "that's none of your business" kind of replies, and the couple awas getting quite worried, thinking that they'd all be detained.
Turns out the "passenger" worked for the gov't, as a kind of quality control-type. His job was to ensure customs officers were asking questions that were permitted and not overstepping their authority.
The bottom line is, we all want the customs officials to do their job and keep our borders safe. But we also do not want or deserve to be harassed when on legitimate business.
Make sure you know your rights.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 04:57 PM

In June we flew in to Dulles, and one of my younger sons got separated from me while exiting the plane. I attempted to wait for him before going through immigration, but was prevented from doing so by a woman who yelled at me to keep moving. I told her that I was separated from my child. She continued to scream and scream at me to keep moving. I heard her continue her tirade with another person behind me. She was scary.

Thankfully, before I got in the final immigration line I asked another woman if I please could wait for my young son, but as she said yes he walked down the ramp.

A bit later, going through customs, I had the opposite experience. I foolishly had left a souvenir knife in my carryon - they didn't catch it at Heathrow. (My son had purchased it the first day of our trip, I wrapped it in paper and promptly forgot about it.) I held my breath - we have a very Arabic last name and my sons and I have all been to the Middle East.

The agents were unbelievably understanding and kind, made arrangements to check the bag, reminded me to make sure my boys had boarding passes and passports in case I missed my flight, moved me to the front of the line so I could finish as quickly as possible.

Both extremes in one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -