Route from Dublin Airport

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 02:50 AM
Ron

Route from Dublin Airport

Can anyone suggest the fastest route from Dublin Airport to Galway?

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 04:15 AM
Cathy

Ron,
First the route - out of the airport onto the M1, head for the city centre, take the first exit onto the M50,(you have to up onto a fly over and round a roundabout to get onto the M50) then travel over the toll bridge (get Irish coins at the airport - it is 80p), take the first exit AFTER THE TOLL BRIDGE - round the round about on the flyover and take the exit for Galway and the West - it is sign posted for the West and Galway. However there is a lot of traffic on this route at peak rush hour times and on weekends ie Friday and Sunday evenings so avoid travelling at these times and it is pretty hairy driving if you are anyway neverous about driving on the wrong side of the road. The town of Enfield is the worst - listen to the radio for traffic update. The speed limit is 60 miles in most cases, down to 30 in places and up to 70 on one part near Dublin, be warned the Irish Police - Gardai Siochana - are pulling people - tourists and all and hitting them with on the spot fines. However it is rough going driving on this section as most people ignore the speed warnings. DooO NOT DRIVE ON THE HARD MARGAIN - YOU ARE NOT INSURED ONLY IF YOU ARE STOPPED. It is common practice to pull over and continue driving but don't. This is the best road and while there are other routes they are back roads and are not sign posted - I use them but then I know the roads like the back of my hand.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Cathy

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 10:40 AM
marianne

Cathy, what a great bit of direction giving! Having just returned from Ireland and driven the route many times I can visualise your precise directions. Also, as a driver on the hard margin [to let the locals pass as they get wound up sitting behind the tourist] I am shocked to learn that I wsn't insured if an accident happened. Many thanks for the tip!

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Lori

Is the Hard Margin the shoulder of the road?? I was curious! We are flying in to Dublin and out of Shannon, my husband will be driving and I am hoping that this is the scairiest part of the drive!

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 02:08 AM
jstangl

The hard margin is indeed the shoulder, lori.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 02:19 AM
love2trvl

Ron:
These are great directions. What I found was that you get used to driving customs real quick. Don't forget to just relax and have a great trip!

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:51 AM
siobhan Gavin

Hi Ron,

Citylink, a Galway bus company offers a bus service from Dublin airport to Galway. I have used them in the past and they are superb. Go to www.citylink.ie and reserve your seat online.