Notices

route du vin

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Larry

route du vin

My wife and I will be in Paris in late May, and we were wondering if it was feasible to make a day trip to Colmar, France, and take a guided tour of the Route du Vin? Can one do this in a day, and are there tours available?

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Rex

It stretches the definition of a day trip, in my opinion, at roughly 4 hrs each way (by train - - for example, dep 7:49, arr 11:42; return dep 18:20, arr 22:23).

But don't despair - - FLY! - - stay ONE (Saturday) night - - you'll get twice as nice a hotel room in Alsace, compared to Paris, at about half the price - - and the air fare is only $94 USD!! ROUNDtrip! (In the spirit of truth in "posting", the train is still $25 cheaper, second-class). The flight is only one hour - - from either Orly or from CDG (to Strasbourg) - - which is where the train is going to take you anyway - - not to Colmar.

There probably are short ("day") tours, but I would advise renting a car, if you can afford to do this at all, you will enjoy it so much more by car.

But if you want to be pampered, there is at least one company that offers private chauffeured tours - - www.rent-limousine.com/home/welcome.uk.html - - at prices I can only imagine.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Rex

I am, if nothing else, persistent.

Here's someone who genuinely does day trips (originating Strasbourg) of the Route du Vin - - and at the incredibly reasonable price of 450 FF per person (minimum 2, maximum 15). Lasts about 8 hrs, so you still can't do it with train and back from Paris in one day, but you could do it with the flights I mentioned - - at least on the second day, you could (if they will do it on Sunday).

The flights are:

Dep ORY 9:15 AM
Arr SXB 10:15 AM
Air France 7322

Dep SXB 8:15 PM
Arr ORY 9:15 PM
Air France 7325

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Rex

Whoops - - left out the web site address:

www.tourisme-fleury.fr

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Larry

Thank you, Rex, for your advice. I really appreciate it.