Rough itinerary advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites, I appreciate so much everyone's shared wisdom here. I am trying to nail down more specifics on our France itinerary and would appreciate any thoughts, either for Paris in particular or the other parts of the trip.
Hubs and I (61 y/o) have tickets in and out of Paris first 2 weeks of December. We have been to several European cities but never to France. We plan to use the wonderful public transportation systems instead of renting a car. This is what I've come up with so far:

1 December (Sun) arrive Paris from Florida in AM - 7 nights Paris, staying in St Germain. We would like to include:
- Go to Eiffel Tower (2nd story or summit) for sunset - get tickets 60 days in advance
- See the Louve (2 days - this is a must for my hubs, but I might do something else the second day, so not sure when to reserve admission tickets).
- Train to Versailles
- Would also love to see the Orsay, the Cluny (me!!), St Chapelle, Arts et Metiers (hubs) and Sacre Couer. If time permits (ha!) consider Atelier de Lumier. This itinerary is heavier on indoor sights than our usual style because we'll likely be freezing our Florida bums off - but I would love to include some wandering around looking at the decorated shop windows, i.e. Lafayette and Printemps. (I might do this on Hubs' second Louve day, if the Louvre doesn't call me back)
- We have tickets already for Opera Bastille evening of 4 December - what museum or sight should we see that day, in order not to be rushed getting back to hotel to get ready?

8 December (Sunday) train Paris to Colmar via Strasbourg - 3 nights Colmar for Christmas markets and sightseeing
- Include a day trip to Strasbourg...I know it would have been more efficient to just overnight in Strasbourg at beginning or end of Colmar leg, but it would have meant one more hotel move and we opted not

11 December (Wednesday) train to Dijon - 2 nights Dijon for sightseeing and (I'm told) eating

13 December (Friday) train back to Paris, staying in Marsais

14 December fly home in the afternoon

My main questions:
1) We would love to include Chartres somehow, but don't want to short Paris. Would it be possible to go from Dijon to Chartres then return to Paris later in the day? (with luggage?)
2) Any particular day best for seeing Strasbourg?
3) Your favorite sights or eats near St Germain or vicinity, or in Paris generally, especially lower cost? 4) Since I can't remember anything from the maps of Paris I've been looking at, any idea how to link sights together sensibly? And if there are other sights that should be reserved, or can we keep it flexible? (I do plan to spend more time with my guide books, I promise; I've mostly been on Duo Lingo lately trying to learn some French!)

So excited! The tickets to the opera are already paid for, as is the stay in Colmar (and our flight). All else is up for negotiation, lol! Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, staying in Marais our last night, not Marsais.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:58 AM

We usually stay in St Germain. Our favorite everyday place in Le Bonaparte but I won't say that it is inexpensive. It's usually for breakfast but we like to sit with coffee, etc and we both want more than a pastry for breakfast.

Depending on where you are staying, if you just want a pastry for breakfast then look at Eric Kayser, Gerard Mulot or Poilane. We also like breakfast and lunch at Comptoir Poilane (next to Poilane bakery). The tartine, salad and glass of wine for lunch is perfect for us. We also love Cafe Varenne at rue du Bac and Varenne (36, rue de Varenne -technically in the 7th but depending on where you are in the 6th - it probably isn't far away (and close to Musee Rodin, which is lovely). Closer to the Odeon Metro stop, we always like Le Danton or les editeurs for a drink, breakfast or pretty much anything. We also enjoyed light fare and wine at da Rosa on rue de Seine.

Enjoy a glass of Champagne at Galleries Lafayette while gazing at the Christmas decor.

If you go on the Paris Museum Pass website, you can choose the museums and monument you want to see and map it out. Take a look at what you want to do as the museum pass can be a good option, if only to avoid standing in line for tickets. Most of the things to see do not have times entries (ET is an exception but not part of the Paris Museum Pass anyway).

If you enjoy Impressionism, then both L'Orangerie and Musee Marmottan would be of interest. They are both smaller and far less crowded than The Louvre or D'Orsay, although the time of year that you will be there is not usually a time for big crowds. I would suggest Saint Chapelle - especially on a sunny day. It is a beautiful chapel.

We went to Chartres as a day trip from Paris - not sure you will want to schlep there with bags from Dijon but others may be able to give better advice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 12:09 PM

Oh, and you might enjoy checking out the food options at Marché des Enfants Rouges in the Marais for lunch. Lots of options, multiple ethnicities represented. If you find yourself at the Richard Lenoir market , I had some of the tastiest Lebanese food for lunch there.I believe that is in the 11th, so just above the Marais.

Also, make a stop at Jacques Genin for some chocolate - it is a beautiful shop and the confections there are delicious and gorgeous. I think they may serve hot chocolate, etc..as well. (133 Rue de Turenne, 75003 Paris, France)The caramels and the gingerbread flavored chocolates were my favorites.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are just back from Paris, went to the Atelier des Lumieres and were quite impressed. Buy advance tickets for opening time to avoid standing in a crowd as more and more people arrive. There really is no seating and you walk around in the space with amazing projections on all surfaces. It was much better during the first show than after the crowds started to arrive.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 02:53 PM

"1) We would love to include Chartres somehow, but don't want to short Paris. Would it be possible to go from Dijon to Chartres then return to Paris later in the day? (with luggage?)"

It's possible, but it makes more sense to leave your luggage in a locker at the station in Paris. I don't think that Chartres has any left luggage facility.

You'll arrive to Gare de Lyon by TGV from Dijon, take the metro to Montparnasse station, drop your excess lugagge in the lockers, take a train to Chartres and pick up your luggage in the evening when you return from Chartres.

https://www.seat61.com/stations/pari...ntparnasse.htm
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Denise, your suggestions have my mouth watering!
AJ, that's good advice about the Lumiers - I hope we can fit it in!
BDKR, very good tip on the luggage!

I just remembered we'd also like to fit in the Basilica St Denis too! So many choices!
Thanks everyone!