Reload this Page >

Rothenburg Wall Tour

Search

Rothenburg Wall Tour

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2000, 04:10 AM
Sally

Rothenburg Wall Tour

I seem to have read about a tour in the evening in Rothenburg -- a town crier tour or night watchman tour. Does anyone have any information?

Old May 1st, 2000, 04:16 AM
Lee

Sally: Each evening at dusk, the "Nightwatchman" begins a tour at the town square, in front of the town hall for a walking tour of the town. <BR> <BR>Usually in German, they either try to do it in both English and in German or with more than one guide. It is very interesting and offers a glimpse into the town and it's rather colorful history. <BR> <BR>There is an info office for Rothenburg available on the web that gives specifics. Have fun.

Old May 1st, 2000, 04:18 AM
Mary Ann

The tour is wonderful. It is at 8pm (generally the English speaking one). It is about 6 or 7DMs per person, lasts about an hour. It is slow paced looking at architecture and explaining life in the 16th century and why things in Rothenburg are the way they are. We have done it twice, 1997 and 1999 in summer and fall both were great (same town crier). You meet in Market Square shortly before 8 and go from there. We went with another couple last year and were trying to stay up since it was our first day in Europe and they said it was well worth it.! Have a great time in Rothenburg it is one of my favorite places.

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:19 AM
gayle

We too took the nightwatchmans 8pm English tour and loved it. It seems that "George" has been conducting the tours twice nightly for 10 years. It is so popular and he gathers crowds of up to 80 people on many nights that my husband and I have become slightly hooked on checking in on the Rothenburg live cam web site on many nights to check on his numbers and envy the income that George makes from 2 hours work per day. (tax free I wonder?) We figure he'll be able to retire by the time he is 40!! What a great job in one of the most magical places in Europe. - Gayle

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:05 AM
john

Just got back from Rothenburg. What everyone is saying is correct. A great tour, very informative. Combine his tour with a visit to the "Criminal Museum" and you will have your PHD on the "fun-loving" Midle Ages!! <BR>JOHN

Old May 20th, 2000, 04:16 PM
walter

John, <BR> Youare exactly right, we learned more on the night tour and the visit to the criminal museum than we did in school...We stayed in the top room at the gerberhaus (last april) great place,fun town! W.S.