COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rothenburg or Black Forest

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:18 AM
adeleh

Rothenburg or Black Forest

We will be in Switzerland and Austria in aug.
We will be staying in Murren and then our next stop is Salzburg .Between these two we have three nights that I can not make up my mind where to go.We want to, may be, stay in Reutte to see the Nueschwanstein. I really want to see Rothenburg but I don't know if it is possible to do all this driving or what is the best way to do it? Or may be we shoud see the Black Forest instead?We do have a car.We are fine with driving but we don't want to be driving 5-6 hours a day.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Lori

Skip the Black Forest. Very overrated in my opinion. What you may want to try is Linderhof which is one of Ludwig's other palaces. Rothenburg is fun to spend the night in if you can squeeze it in.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Nancy

I too would (& will) skip the Black Forrest. This year we are spending 3 days in Reutte, it is a wonderful place!

Rothenburg is really nice, try to spend the night.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Les

Adeleh,
I take exception to Lori's comment. The Black Forest is NOT overrated. It's a beautiful AREA (not a town) with nice scenery, interesting towns, and museums (including a very nice outdoor museum).
Of course, Rothenburg is also a good place to visit, and probably more in line with your driving itinerary (the Black Forest is in the south-western part of Germany, while Rothenburg and Neuschwanstein better lend themselves to a drive between Murren and Salzburg).

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Paulo

Justto have an idea, Adeleh, one may drive from Mürren to Baden-Baden in less than 3½ hours. From Baden-Baden to Rothenburg it would be about 2 hours. From Rothenburg to Reutte, 2½ hours and from Reutte to Salzburg some 3 hours (all nonstop and taking te fastes route).

Therefore, there are a number of possibilities. You maydrive to somewhere in the Black forest (4 hours nonstop) spend the night, and then continue to Rothenburg (2½ hours), wrapping it up with Reutte and Salzburg. Alternatively, one may drive directly to Heidelberg (4 hours) and from there to Rothenburg (1½ hours). The fast nonstop drive from Mürren to Rothenburg would take 5 hours or so.

Paulo

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:35 AM
John

Just returned from your destinations.

Suggest you consider Rothenburg - then South to Ludwigs castles - Nueschwanstein and Linderhof.

We had a great time in Romantic road area South from Rothenburg and then East through Austria to Salzburg.

Have a good time

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Joe

What Les said! Thatched roofs, local dialects, beautiful rolling hills and thick forests make The Black Forest "AREA" a delight to visit.

The open-air museum, Schwarzwalder Freilichtermuseum, at Hausach/Gutach provides an interesting and enjoyable look at regional folk life. The cafeteria here serves good, reasonably priced food of the region.

The Wine Road from (roughly) Staufen to Badenweiler takes you through some neat little towns and an opportunity to taste some great wines and tour the facilities.

While Rothenburg-obder-Tauber and Dinkelsbuhl are in the not-to-be-missed catagory, given where you are coming from and the time you have (save them for another trip), I would do the Black Forest. "You WILL enjoy the Black Forest!" (poor attempt at humour, I know).

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:06 PM
adeleh

I got a lot of ideas. Please tell me how far is Murren to Reutte?
How far is Rothenburg to Salzburg?
Thank you

Old May 16th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Paulo

Fastest route, nonstop, no stalls (which are quite common between Munich and Salzburg)

Mürren-Reutte: 370km, 5 hours
Rothenburg-Salzburg: 360km, 4 hours

Paulo

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Bob

Do Rothenburg. Spend the night and get there in time to do the nightwatchman's tour in the evening that leaves from the market square. Fun deal to learn about the city.

I agree with some of the other posters about rerouting yourself and hitting Switz, then Germany and ending in Salzburg. Better route than the other way you have posted.

Garmisch is another good location to stay and you can easily visit Linderhof and make a nice drive to Neuschwanstein and return to Garmisch that evening. Even throw in a quick visit to Wies Church along the way.

Old May 17th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Al

Just got back. We did both, took three days total from Bodensee through Black Forest area then back to Munich/Salzburg. I wouldn't miss either if you can manage it. I wouldn't settle for just a drive by visit either. Both areas are worth the time to spend a night.