Rothenburg??

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rothenburg??

I am contemplating a day trip to Regensburg from Munich, but have read many very favorable reviews about Rothenburg. However, this is a much longer train ride from Munich.

From fellow travellers who have seen both places, will I be missing something stellar if I go to Regensburg instead of Rothenburg. Only have time for one day trip out of Munich.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 12:02 PM

They are two entirely different places. Rothenburg is worth visiting if you liked walled cities and old stuff. The Medieval Crime Museum is worth seeing.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Rothenburg is often jammed with tour bus groups during the day and has a museum feel to it - Regensburg is a larger and real city with what is said the most medieval buildings still standing in Germany.

You can't go wrong but they are as sparkchase says two very very different places - folks who posted things about Rothenburg in the past were generally very favorable - ditto for Regensburg - you can't go wrong.

Rothenburg is the quintessential medieval looking completely walled city.

Regensburg on the busy Danube is a humming regional commercial town with a generally old look but is also a bustling modern city.

You can't go wrong!
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 12:43 PM

Rothenburg is THE most touristy town in Germany. Regensburg is a city with other interests in addition to catering to tourists.

Minimum travel time to Rothenburg is 2.5 hours each way on the fast trains (about 250€ round trip for normal price tickets!) It takes much longer if you use the cheaper regional trains and the Bayern ticket (26€ for two round trip anywhere in Bavaria.) The logistics make this trip pretty ridiculous.

You can reach Regensburg in 1.5 hours by regional train (26€.)

Another choice for a very cool old walled town on the Romantic Road is Nördlingen - a far less touristy, real German town that takes you back in time. You can get there one way in just under two hours (26€ again.)
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 01:28 PM

There is more authentic medieval stuff in Regensburg than in Rothenburg, believe it or not.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 02:33 PM

Funny that most folks - average tourists who go to Rothenburg rave about it but it is disdained by many veteran travelers or local Germans. I tend to agree with quokka and Russ but in fact many people who go there love the place - and it is compact and tight - no getting lost there - not like in a big city where you have to orient yourself - Rothenburg you need to know nothing about to enjoy - and yes it is all gussied up and tourist shops seem to outnumber real stores...
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 03:20 PM

If people say "medieval" they usually imagine pictures from the romantic era, i.e. the 19th century, which do not have much in common with what the middle ages were really like. There were no cobblestone streets in medieval cities and 95% of all preserved half-timbered houses are not medieval either. While there is some authentic architecture preserved, Rothenburg's "romantic flair" was shaped in the 19th century. The same applies, by the way, to the Middle Rhine Gorge, not to mention Neuschwanstein & Co. These 19th century buildings meet a certain taste, that's why such places are so popular - while us "veterans" will rather be after authentic medieval heritage instead of the neo-styles of 19th century historism. Being an art historian, my view surely does not match the average tourist's...
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rothenberg at least used to be (and Pal, why don't you just chime right in here and correct me if necessary) THE most popular attraction in the entire country amongst THE GERMANS.

This probably explains why it is often quite crowded. I somehow doubt the Germans have suddenly decided they don't like the place.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We love Rothenberg having been there a few times. Much was destroyed during WW11 and rebuilt, just like many cities in Europe including Regensburg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber

But they are beautiful towns/cities. Do not discount them.

But as Russ said, Regensburg would be a better choice as it is closer. We also loved Regensburg and stayed there for a few nights. Also, receiver less damage to the 'old town' during WW11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regensburg
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Aw heck go to Rothenburg if you want.

It is nice quaint, full of tourist, but enjoyable if you have not ever been there.

You can walk on top around the wall...until you get lost.

Been to both Rothenburg and Regensburg this year. Loved them both.

If you go to Regenburg you have to have Sausages and Sauerkraut in the 900 year old Sausage House ...little green shack by the Stone Bridge..( and a beer of course !!!)
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:33 PM

We love Rothenburg and Regensburg. For us, Rothenburg is a great choice when you can stay overnight to enjoy the town when the hordes have left.

Regensburg would seem to be a better choice for a day trip since it is closer. And, as Percy mentioned, you have to have the sausages in the shack by the 12th-century stone bridge.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM

We fell in love with Rothenburg when we stayed there for two nights. Full disclaimer: We have ever been to Regensburg.

Our favorite time to walk about was early in the morning and in the evening after the bus loads of tourists had left, but it is beautiful anytime.

Walking the wall at sunset was quite memorable. There is a lovely little park where you can rest a bit and look down upon the surrounding countryside. We had a lovely afternoon in the cemetery just outside the wall: lovely old headstones. The half-timbered buildings are quite beautiful, so many lovely shades. The Criminal Museum is a good way to spend a few hours. We also enjoyed the Night Watchman's Tour. I bought many beautiful Christmas ornaments at the Kathy Wolfart shop. The wood altar carvings in the St James church are absolutely stunning and not to be missed.

If you can figure a way to spend the night, you would not regret it IMO, but even if you can only spend a long day you will remember it always.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM

Loved Rothenburg even with the touristy factor. Go to the top of the tower at the Rathous where the view is worth the two Euros they sneakily charge at the TOP of the stairs.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 06:20 PM

I lived 6 years in Germany and never really tired of Rothenburg. We frequently go back. Still, for a day trip from Munich I would select Regensburg or even closer Landshut. All are good choices; I would hate to lose all that time on the train. Regards, Gary
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM

I too am tired of Rothenburg. Unless there is some festival or something going on, I have no real desire to go back.