Ross-on-Wye and the Brecon Beacons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to either of these two places in England and Wales ? Any recommendations on things to see and do in either location as well as accommodation suggestions ?

I've got lots of info from various websites but was looking for personal experiences.

Ta.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:37 PM
ron

Great area to visit. We spent a week based in a farm B&B near Hereford. One day we visited the Button Museum in Ross -- a must visit, and then went on Symon's Yat and the Forest of Dean.

Another time, I spent a week based in Hereford doing walks in the area. One started near Ross, went past Goodrich Castle, up onto Symon's Yat and on to Monmouth. Very nice walk.

I have also spent a couple of weeks hill walking in the Beacons, from a base in Brecon. The Brecon cathedral is well worth a visit. I also found the remains of Y Gaer, the Roman fort near Brecon worth a visit. But that may be a specialized taste. Mostly the Beacons are about walking on them.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Mathieu - you have a lot to see in that area. Here are a few suggestions:
* The ancient Norman Church in Kilpeck.
* Wye Valley Road & Tintern Abbey.
* Take the Golden Valley Road to Hay-on-Wye (book town), also nearby is the "Pandy Inn" at Dorstone...church & Inn built by one of the knights who murdered St.Thomas Beckett)
* Visit the "Bulls Head" Inn at Craswall (a real off the beaten track Welsh Pub)
* Further north you have the "black & white" villages of Weobley, Pembridge, etc
* Arthurs Stone at Bredwardine
Brecon Beacons National Park -
* Ystradellte with its caves & waterfalls.
* Brecon Mountain Railway near Merthyr Tydfil.
* Not far out of Abergavenny you have "Skirrids Mountain" Inn, where people were once hung from a beam for crimes committed.
* Lots of walking in the National Park.
* Fun drives....take the A4069 across the mountains from Llandovery to Brynaman. Also another scenic drive is on the A470 from Brecon to Merthyr Tydfil, past Pen-Y-Fan peak.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Ron and Tropo :

Thank you both very much for your suggestions. Wales is going to be another new discovery next month (between Croatia and Budapest - I know, a bit of a zig-zag) but we only have 3 days there and two in London. I'm really looking forward to it and will post a report upon return.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:39 AM

If you are into books make sure you go to Hay on Wye. A whole town dedicated to second hand book shops. I can spend a day here browsing!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Walter,

I am a book lover. In fact the reason why we are spending 2 days in London is to get half a day for some good browsing and purchasing. Wonderful as Hay-on-Wye sounds, I fear that if we go there we may not move for a while ! Thanks for the tip.