Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome's Termini to the hotel: taxi or metro?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 11:47 AM
YS

My girlfriend and I will be ariving to Rome (Termini) by train at aroung 10am. Should we take a cab to our hotel in Via Venetto area or take the metro (we are staying pretty close to the Barberini stop)? Does Rome metro get really crowded making it difficult to ride with luggage?

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Capo

Yes, the Metro can get very crowded, but we rode it with luggage from Termini to the Spanish Steps Metro stop and didn't have a problem. That would be the least expensive way to get to your hotel, but I don't think a taxi from Termini to your hotel in the Via Veneto area should cost very much so, if taking a taxi makes you feel more comfortable, that's what I'd recommend.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Ed

Taxi will run perhaps LIT8-10,000 or so. Legitimate cabs can be a bit hard to find though. <BR> <BR>The metro shouldn't be crowded at 10am. You have only one stop to go. As long as you don't have a long uphill trek from Barberini to your hotel I'd tend to take the metro in this case. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Donna

There is a taxi stand right outside Termini station. <BR> <BR>We arrived at around noon and tehre were cabs lined up waiting and we had no problem at all getting one. <BR> <BR>Depending on how tired you are when ou arrive a taxi is probably the easiest alternative. <BR> <BR>Donna

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 02:40 PM
RJD

Cabs in Rome are generally inexpensive and worth it for the convinence. You will be solicted for a cab the second you come off the train platform. Do not accept the solicitation. They are unregulated gypsy cabs that may cheat you. Take the advice above and go to the taxi stand out the south door of the Termini.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 04:15 PM
A.M.

My girlfriend and I arrived in Rome at that time in April and went to the taxi stand to get a cab. When we got in the taxi the driver refused to turn on the meter and told us the fare would be 40,000Llire to the Spanish Steps. We departed the car and rode the metro which was very convenient. I suggest you take the metro unless you have unlimited funds. <BR>A.M.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 09:38 PM
joan

If you are already riding the train with your bags...you said you were arriving at the station....then you shouldn't find it anymore difficult to ride the metro to your stop.. Joan