Rome with 13 & 12 YO

Search

Rome with 13 & 12 YO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome with 13 & 12 YO

Early stages of planning. Taking grandkids to Rome next April, I was there in '08. Have a tentative reservation for an apartment near the Coliseum.

Other than the usual sights are there any geared to children? Granddaughter is really interested in mythology and astronomy. The PLANETARIO E MUSEO ASTRONOMICO might be an option. Not sure how different it would be to the Fels Planetarium in Philadelphia, PA.

Both will be interested in the Coliseum and Forum. Vatican is on the list to do. Is Hadrian's something the kids would like or more of an adult type thing?

Other ideas?

We will arrive on 8/15 and depart 8/23 giving at least 6 full days in Rome.

TIA
Lydia
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM

That is a great age for Rome.

They might like an afternoon at Ostia. Or a walk along some of the Old Appian Way.

The Capuchin cemetery near the piazza Barberini-- I hesitate to say it's fun for kids, but I liked it at that age.

The Villa Farnesina has some great mythological frescoes (including the astrological chart of the Cardinal who had it built, and the story of Cupid and Psyche), and it's close to Trastevere for a nice lunch afterwards.

The redesigned Capitoline Museums take you through the foundations of Jupiter's temple. Palazzo Massimo, near the train station, has beautiful painted rooms and mosaic floors from Roman times.

If you want a guide for any of this, I had great experiences with Context Tours (the woman who took us to Ostia had done her dissertation on Ostia and she also had a great sense of humor).

Have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:13 PM
J62

Here's my experience with 12/13 year olds in Rome.

They probably won't like an afternoon at Ostia or a walk along the Old Appian way.

They might like to visit the cat sanctuary at Largo Argentina.

They will like gelato.

They will like Villa d'Este, but not Hadrian's villa

They will like one museum. Vatican, Borghese, or Capitoline, but not 2, not 3.

They will like gelato.

Did I mention they will like gelato?
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Whoops I said April should have been August!

Also want to add my Granddaughter is also really, really interested in ancient history. She's the 13 YO.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.

Lydia
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The San Clemente church is fascinating. You visit the latest incarnation of the church and then descend layer by layer into older churches and pre-Christian temples until you get to the earliest layer, where there was a temple to Mithras.

For a child who loves mythology, it will be interesting to see how some of the myths from classical Roman times have been interpreted and are depicted by Renaissance artists in works at the Vatican and perhaps the Borghese Gallery. People have been fascinated by those myths for a long time.

A guided tour would help you get a lot more out of the Vatican and the Forum.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM

This might sound really, really silly, but ...

After I read Angels and Demons, I couldn't wait to get back to Rome adn follow the clues. And once we went back, I found it fascinating, lots of art to follow ... the movie is not that enticing, must read the book.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM

What a nice trip for kids that age. You are a wonderful grandparent to take them!

Rome is magical for their interests. Get a good personal guide, especially for the Coliseum and the Forum, who can bring the places to life, with stories of how people lived then and there. Fascinating learning about the engineering of 'elevators' in the arena, and the l-o-n-g dinner parties at the forum.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:31 AM

I agree that Villa d'Este in Tivoli would be a good choice for them. Also, Castel Sant'Angelo may be good (get a tour guide for that) because Pope Paul III was one of the first popes, if not THE first pope to permit that the rooms of the place (which served as a temporary papal palace) be decorated not only with scenes of saints and martyrs but also mythological figures. (There's a depiction high up on a wall of the conversion of St. Paul, for example, but also a depicton on another wall of Apollo in his chariot.)

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:17 AM

I would definitely go to the Palatine as well as the Colosseum and Forum. It is the site of the emperors' palaces and the huts of Romulus

Your granddaughter sounds like our son who lobbied for a trip to Rome for about 4 years after studying ancient Rome in 6th grade.
He was amazed by the Pantheon and liked Ostia Antica and taking the archeobus to the Appian Way and the aqueducts. He really wanted to go to Pompeii but was persuaded to save that for another trip.

The baths of Caracalla are also interesting.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM

Hi there
I took my 9 and 12 year olds to Rome this past April and we had a blast. They really enjoyed the Archeobus along the Appian Way (esp the catacombs), and also a special half day Context walking tour geared to young people. We had the guide to ourselves (had set it up in advance) and she was a lovely Dutch PhD who took us all through the Palatine Hill, Forum and Colosseum and was great at explaining things to the boys. We also booked a guided tour of the Vatican museums and Sistine Chapel which would have been wonderful except that Mr 9 year old had a stomach bug and managed to vomit in the Sistine Chapel ... (thankfully discreetly into a plastic bag I had in my bag).
They also loved the food: pizza, pasta, gelato - kid food heaven.
We visited the cat sanctuary twice, so I agree with the above poster on that. Didn't take them to Ostia Antica this time tho' my husband and I have been there before: it's very big and potentially a little boring for youngsters, depends on the kids I think.
Hope that helps.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM

I have only used one tour company for the Colosseum but you may want to consider them. (Dark Rome tours)
The structure of the tour was that tour participants were included in the presentation, my son was a gladiator. They didn't have to do anything, the guide just verbally referred to them with their historical name to tell the stories. A friend of mine who took the tour told me about it and it actually sounded a little annoying to me, but it was good. I think that they would definitely included your grandkids or you might get to be a vestal virgin or Hadrian's wife! The guide was very good at explaining the history in a non-boring matter. You can read reviews on their website to get other comments.
This tour included Palatine Hill was which excellent. It did not take you into the Forum, just an overview from above and then you visited on your own.
This company also does a 4 hour train/walking trip to Ostia Antica. We did not take it, but my friend said it was excellent and just the right amount of time.
The Context walking tour for young people certainly sounds good.
Heads up- there are "gladiators" posing for pictures outside the Colosseum. This certainly catches the attention of kids. The pictures are expensive and you have to pay them even if you use your own camera. Prices vary by negotiation.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

"half day Context walking tour geared to young people"

I have been looking at their site and the family tours and wondering about these tours. Do they gear them to the ages in the party? They have a maximum of 6 for these tours and I'd hate to have another small group which might have younger children. Not because of their age, only with how the guide would treat a wider age span.

They also have a Mythology Workshop as described below. Granddaughter (13) is hugely interested in mythology. Anyone take this one?
"Spend some time in a museum with a kid and you quickly realize that an understanding of myths and mythology is crucial to understanding art. This workshop takes place in and around the Villa Farnesina, which was the private villa of Agostino Chigi, on the banks of the Tiber River, where the Renaissance painter Raphael (and others) painted some of the most important mythological works in the world."

When I was in Rome in '08, we took a tour of the Vatican with one of the Vatican tour guides and it was terrible. There were at least 25 in the group. I felt the guide was on a speed walk. Several times she got so far ahead of us the signal for the headset was lost. So I am considering spending the extra money for another company with a small group. I have absolutely no recollection of what I saw mainly just trying to run around the other visitors so I could keep up with the guide.

I will check out the Dark Rome Tours for the coliseum and forum areas.

Thanks so much to all of you for the contributions! Keep them coming!
Lydia
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:57 PM

We also did the Vatican semi-private with Dark Rome and there were only 6 in the group. The guide was fabulous (she was an American, masters in art history, schooled in Italy, lived there 5 years, married to an Italian). She had done a group of 15 British school boys the day before.
I saw one of the Vatican tour guides and she looked and spoke like a drill sergant. I'm sure they have good ones but this one had a huge group and it didn't look like fun. Maybe it was the same one you had!
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM

I didn't take the Mythology Workshop but it sounds great. Villa Farnesina is on our list of places to visit on our next trip to Rome. You could combine that with a trip to the top of the Janiculum (Gianicolo) hill (by bus or taxi) for the view of Rome, walking down to the Villa and strolling through Trastevere afterwards.