Search

Rome, where to stay with 14 mo. old

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, where to stay with 14 mo. old

Hi all,

I'm looking into accomodations in Rome and have been getting frustrated.

Ideally, we would like a 2 br. apartment so that we can put the baby in one room and close the door and enjoy the living room and our own private bedroom since we will be having to come in early and put the baby to bed instead of enjoying the Roman nightlife. Oh and we also will be cooking our own dinners so need an adequate kitchen.

I've been looking in the historic center for something around $1500-$1600 (or less of course) for 2 br available May 28-June 4 and I've found a few, but have been mostly coming up empty handed.

As you all know, there is a lot for cheaper and 2 br available further out. We would love to see St. Peters, at least one of the Vatican art museums, the colosseum, and the sites around the historic center. I was thinking we would be better off around the historic center because we could get out see a few sites and then still get home and put the baby down for a nap for a while before going back out again. But now I'm thinking maybe, pricewise, we'd be better off saving our money and finding something near the Vatican, Trastavere or Colisseum.

We would also like to be near a supermarket and would love to be near enough to catch public transportation for a day trip down to San Donato Val DiComino, Italy where my husband's grandmother was born.

Help us. Where should we stay?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Oh and we will be in Rome for a week around the first week of June 2011 (Italy for about 28 days).
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:19 AM

Look at Palazzo Olivia
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. I typed in our dates and it is saying there is nothing available. It looks like a very nice place.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM

Have you checked in Trastevere? It's just a little out of the way, but would be less expensive. If you have not looked at sleepinitaly.com, try them.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Travelling,

This is the apartment we stayed in last year and it might just suit you.

http://lacasadiclelia.webs.com/

It has two bedrooms [and a very well equipped kitchen] and is just €100 per night , and it's ground floor - ideal for a buggy!

it's very central and we liked it a lot.

if it's available [the contact details are on the website - the owner is called Catherine] and you want to know more, just come back to me and I'll try to help.

Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM

I know a 2-bedroom would be ideal, but keep your options open: a 1-bedroom can work, too. You might let the baby keep the bedroom all night and you adults share a sofabed, or you might be able to move the baby to the big room once you're ready to turn in. (We've done it both ways, but our son is the type of sleeper we canmove around if needed. Once he learned to sleep at all, that is.)

I wish I had some specifics for you....
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

annhig thanks for the recommendation on the case di clelia. I just sent an email to them via their form. It looks like a nice place.

pavot--thanks for that thought. I'd just begun contemplating that as the options were looking bleaker. Would you say it would be ideal to be in the historic center?

charnees--thanks for the rec of sleepinitaly. I'd looked through a lot of their properties, but everything 2 br seemed to be full for that week even in trastevere. I heard that the week we are looking at is a holiday week in Italy, so that's probably part of the problem (may 28-june4).
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM

A few 2BRs, super central, and under your budget, neither have elevator:

http://www.b-b.rm.it/accommodations/desc.php?id=472 street level

http://www.b-b.rm.it/accommodations/desc.php?id=437 "2nd floor"

(check availability for two above by emailing them)
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:44 PM

I would certainly prefer the historic center. I've been to Rome three times, and I keep saying I'd like to try staying further out, but the reality of trekking in to sightsee and trekking out to sleep never really appeals to me.

I hope you find something great, whatever you decide.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Good finds bardo1. Thank you! I hadn't seen this site before. I just emailed about the second one, as the comments under the first one indicated it got a lot of traffic noise.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Hope I didn't make a mistake. Here's what we rented:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...D_link_LPROP_1

What do you think? Will it be easy to get around from here? Are bus-stops usually well-distributed?
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
J62

We stayed here a few years ago, in the blue apt. Nothing fancy.

http://www.residenzagiubbonari.com/index.html

Location is great, right near the Campo di Fiori. 5min walk to a supermarket, 2min to a bakery. 6min walk to Largo Argentina (bus/tram hub).
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM

The apartment you are renting is near Viale di Trastevere. The #8 tram runs up this road into the historic center (ends at largo Argentina stop). The tram stops quite often. Not sure where the nearest stop to you will be. I think the apartment description is misleading in saying it is an easy walk to the sites mentioned.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Looks like we will be quite close to the tram then. When you say that it stops often, do you mean like every few blocks or what exactly, please? Thank you!
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
J62

vt means there are trams quite often, so there is never that long a wait.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Trastevere is a beautiful neighborhood, quieter and not as crammed with tourists as the historic center. You can walk to the Vatican quite easily, as well as the Jewish Quarter; other major sights are a bit further away, so it really depends on whether you (and the baby) are up for long hikes. Be sure to check out a map beforehand and plan your routes. Rome is a wonderfully walkable city, so if your baby enjoys stroller rides or being carried, you will do fine. Since you have a week, you will have plenty of time to explore and come home for naps. The apartment looks lovely - I am jealous; enjoy!
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better. I just found a map that shows a bus stop and two tram stops very close by. So I'm breathing easier. Will definitely be planning our routes very carefully. I'm glad to hear that it is walkable. I confess I've been worrying about the baby in the stroller and cars flying at us fast. I know I'll be taking the ergo carrier in the stroller so that I can just wear him if we are in an area where traffic is coming at us a bit close.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi again, travelling,

I would say that Trastevere is a very good choice of place with a baby as you will find lots of local shops and cafes that will welcome you, and easy access to the rest of the city. you will get an even bigger welcome if you learn a few words of Italian - a surprising number of people in Rome speak no or very little english, so the basics are very useful.

the traffic can be a bit scary - the worst bits we found were in so-called pedestrian zones which the romans don't appear to recognise!
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Oh good, you have an Ergo. Use it as much as you can! You will both feel more secure that way. Although the traffic can be a little crazy, there are plenty of quiet streets as well where cars are not allowed (or cannot fit!). And since your little one will not be walking, you won't have to worry about him toddling into the street.

I agree with Ann that it is always good to know a few words of the language, but my personal grasp of Italian does not go beyond the most basic words and foods, and yet I have always found the Romans to be extremely friendly. I'm sure you will meet some wonderful people in the neighborhood around your apartment.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Looks like you made a great choice for an apt. Learn a few phrases, use a smile, and general courtesy. I've found the people of Rome amazingly patient with us when we're there. Patient,kind, and helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -