Notices

Rome walking tour

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome walking tour

I need your help once more.... has anyone of you fodorite used this "Enjoy Rome Walking Tour"? How was the tour experience will you recommend it to others?
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Hi
If you do a search on this message board for Enjoy Rome you should find many past comments, generally very favorable I believe.

The organization that I and some others like is Scala Reale. From what I understand, Scala Reale's tours are more expensive than E.R's. They are also longer; most of them are 3-4 hours, E.R's are shorter. SR limits their groups to 6-8 people, don't know about the group sizes for E.R.

SR employs art and history scholars who provide a lot of information in an interesting and even entertaining way.
I can't praise them enough, but it depends what you are looking for.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:27 PM

I took two Enjoy Rome tours when I was there two weeks ago - one was the Ancient Rome and the other Trastevere. Both were excellent, lasted at least three hours and, because of the off-season possibly, there were only six people on one and five on the other. Very knowledgeable guides - definite recommendation! When I was planning my trip, I did look at Scala Reale but they seemed very high priced to me but they are recommended highly here.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I considered the Scala Reale tour but am having second thoughts because of their rates.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:12 PM

When 3amigos closed up shop last summer, I ended up taking a tour of Ancient Rome with American Express. Tour guide was very informative, group was very small (6 people) with stops at Colossuem, Forum, San Pietro in Vincoli, pace was not too fast like some other day tours I did, and a short driving tour of other sites. I was very pleased, although I do know that they are more expensive than Enjoy Rome.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Where do you get information on these walking tours? We will be in Rome in May and would like to take these tours.
Thanks for your reply.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:26 PM

www.scalareale.org
www.enjoyrome.com
www.romeguide.it
www.tourome.com
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:35 PM

I like the Enjoy Rome tours, the guides are students, usually British or American, so easy to understand with traffic whizzing around. They are also well informed and I like their enthusiasm and the groups are small and casual.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Elaine, Thanks for the information. Looks as if you got the screen-name first.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:26 PM
jpm

It has been a couple of years but we did several tours with Scala Reale. I didn't consider their prices outside the average. There was six of us travelling together so we were our on private tour. We did a full day "Art" of Rome tour - where I learned more art history than I did in a semester in college. We did a half-day tour of ancient Rome (very informative and entertaining). And we had Scala Reale arrange for a Van and driver to take us to Naples and Pompeii for the day - the cost of which was less than for the 6 of us to take the train down and back.

So take this for what its worth. I know you asked about another company but hopefully you found this helpful.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:32 AM

I would add my endorsement of Scala Reale. Their guides were very knowledgeable, flexible and personable. The groups were small. We had a personal tour of Tivoli and that guide was very impressive, offering an erudite interactive commentary for several hours.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:50 AM

We took an Enjoy Rome tour to Pompeii and were very disappointed. My nephew took one of their tours of Rome and was also disappointed. He then signed up for tours through the USO. You can do it on their internet site for Rome. He said they were great. We are signed up for two tours coming up in April.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM

I have taken both Enjoy Rome and Scale Reale tours. IMHO, the guides for Scale Reale were superior to those of Enjoy Rome. They are really worth the extra money, esp in places like the Forum and the Vatican Museums. They are well-read, well-informed and generally have a post-graduate degree in their subject.
In addition, the guide who did one our Enjoy Rome walks changed the itinerary during the walk from the printed itinerary on their website. We were supposed to go to Campo Fiori at the end of the night walk, but our guide decided during the tour that she didn't want to go there and went to Piazza Navona instead. As we had already seen the Piazza earlier in the day by ourselves, this was a waste of our time to us. More importantly, we had made dinner reservations in the Campo Fiore area specifically because the tour was supposed to end there. It was very inconvenient to have to run from Piazza Navona to make our dinner reservations, and we ended up having to leave the tour early. The guide did not apologize or offer any explanation.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 09:44 AM
pj

We just returned from Paris and Rome 3/13/03. We took the enjoyrome trastervere tour. There were 3 of us, it was excellent. Very informed guide, I cannot imagine liking another tour better. It was a highlight of our trip. PJ