Reload this Page >

Rome, Umbria, Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Stacey

I will be going to Italy for the first time in September for about 13 days. I left Italy as a country to go when I was "in love" and luckily I am. My boyfriend and I will be flying in/out of Rome. We both like the smaller towns. <BR><BR>After spending a few days in Rome, we wanted to go up to Umbria. Should we rent a car in Rome and drive to Umbria? I know the country driving will be okay, but driving out of Rome frightenes me. I was thinking of staying at Fattoria di Titignano between Todi and Orvieto. Is that a good location to do day trips to Umbria towns? I know I want to see Assisi.<BR><BR>After staying in Umbria for about 4 days, we want to go to the Amalfi Coast. We will probably drive. Is that too much driving in a day. Any other suggestions on which town to stay in besides Positano. I've seen good things about Hotel La Fenice on the boards.<BR><BR>From the Amalfi Coast we head back to Rome to fly out.<BR><BR>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting blurried eyed from reading all these travel books.<BR><BR>Many thanks. Stacey

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 12:01 AM
Vincenzo

Stacey,<BR>Fattoria di Titignano is a very pretty place where to stay. There is also pool.Only 10 rooms, you'd reserve soon.<BR>It's good enough to visit Umbria if you like to drive alot every day.<BR>Other smart choice could be MALVARINA in Assisi. Maybe it's better as location for your daily trips and also to visit Assisi very well. Pool. 12 rooms.<BR>About Amalfi Coast, it's less than six hours to drive from Umbria and one day is enough to reach it, surely.<BR>You'd have the car to appreciate Amalfi Coast.<BR>As you both like small towns, besides Positano I'd suggest Furore, a magic place over the coast and Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, a smart and nice solution if you want to visit also places like Sorrento and Pompei.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Robyn France

Greetings Stacey,<BR><BR>Congratulations on your trip. A few comments. An advantage to staying in Assisi is that you can enjoy it early in the morning and in the evening ---when you still have daylight--without all the tourists, and believe me, there will be a blue million. That way, you can go off to the small towns during the<BR>day, and return to enjoy Assisi when it is much more peaceful.<BR><BR>We have just returned from a trip to Italy where we spent a week at La Fenice--it is wonderful, the rooms are simple but very comfortable and the owners are a delight--the only caveat involves your physical fitness and whether you enjoy walking--we do so it was great. There are lots of steps to get up to the road and breakfast--we were glad to get the exercise with all we were eating, and there is a little walk to get to the center of town. For beauty and privacy, ask for a room down near the water with sea view--it is breathtakingly beautiful there. We can't wait to go back.<BR><BR>Take care,<BR>Robyn France

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Stacey

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll do a less driving than intended. Thinking of taking a train from Rome to Orvieto and renting a car for Umbria. Then we'll spend some time at Fattoria di Titignano and a place in Assisi. Thanks for the suggestions.<BR><BR>After Umbria, take a train from Orvieto to Napoli then either hydrofoil or car/driver to Positano. I'll definitely check out La Fenice and the other towns that were suggested.<BR><BR>Then a train from Napoli to Rome. <BR><BR>Thanks so much for your help.<BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Ian

We just returned from Amalfi - Todi - Roma. We drove everywhere but Roma. We stayed in Todi - Fonte Cesia (rm 111) - right in the center of town. Great room & great town to use as a base. You can enjoy walking to/from cafes & restaurants. They had a private carpark so it was easy to arrive & leave. We did day trips to Montalcino (wine), Deruta (ceramics) & Carsulae (Roman ruins). BTW all of our driving was easy except for suburbs of Napoli.