Rome/Tuscany how much time?

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome/Tuscany how much time?

I think I've finally decided to leave the kids (10 and 12) at home when my husband and I go on my dream trip to Italy (for 40th birthday). My kids always seem to be bored when we travel and I don't want to have to worry about making sure 4 people have fun, it will be hard enough keeping my hubby happy! My problem is I'd love to go for two weeks+ but I know I'll miss the kids too much and vice versa. Another reason we're leaving them home is financial. Plus if my sister watches them we can go when they're still in school, avoiding the hot summer months. My question is this: is 10 days enough to do Rome/Tuscany, maybe 5 days each? Would we do Rome first and then Tuscany? Any way to fit Cinque Terre in there? I know, now I'm getting greedy. It's just that I don't know if I'll ever get back there again. Can you rent villa for less than a week? If not, any hotel recommendations. April, May, October or November...these are my thoughts of when to go, can you swim in any of these months?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM

It depends on what is in those dreams of yours, especially the Tuscany part. Is your dream to rent a villa, laze around and then eat great food at night, or is it touring all the little towns and maybe Florence and maybe some vinyards? Think first about what it will take to make you feel like you've "done" Tuscany, and then see how much time that leaves you for Rome. We took our three kids with us to Italy last summer (10, 13 and 15) and I admit that we could have done what we did in less time had they not been with us. However, perhaps your dream kid-less trip involves lingering in musuems you'd normally rush through.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:01 PM

5 days each Rome and Tuscany seem perfect if you do not have more that 10 days.
You could fly in to Rome and out from Florence or viceversa.
Yes, avoid the hot and expensive july and august but do not expect to swim in april/may/october/november !
You may consider to rent a car in Tuscany for the freedom to visit the small walled villages and countryside and drop the car in Rome where you do not need it.
Alternatively the speed train Rome to Florence is only a 95 minutes ride.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Yes !
Consider Pisa for your return. Have fun.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We would definitely rent a car because we want to explore the small hill towns and I'd like to tour at least one vineyard. Any suggestions on where to look for flights? I read Delta is flying into Pisa begining 5/31 but the prices I saw there were over $1,000. The cheapest I've seen from JFK is $880.00 on Alitalia. Are any online sites easier than others to use when trying to book open jaw travel?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Use www.kayak.com and think twice about using Alitalia.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Why avoid Alitalia?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM

because they have a horrible financial situation and staff is often on strike, like next 19th january, due to horrible financial situation.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM

ooops mixed up double words... sorry
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM

you can also try www.1800flyeurope.com Flights are operated by American Airlines (not sure if ALL of them are). I used them and had no problems. They were somewhat cheaper than buying direct from the airline, if you are able to book early enough, before many of the good prices are gone. You can also book your rental car through them. They are part of Auto Europe.

Have you decided where you want to stay in Tuscany? If you will be in Rome for 5 days, you may want to try booking an apartment. You'll have more space, and many are equipped with a washer/dryer to do some laundry.