Rome Trains

Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:38 AM
Pat

Rome Trains

Does anyone know if there are any trains from Citaveccia, where cruise ships dock, to Rome? Can't find a connection on the net.Cruise ship does not have transfer into Rome from ship other than excursions.

Thanks for you help.

Pat

Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:49 AM
Steve James

Hello Pat,

www.trenitalia.it
www.civitavecchia.com/servizi/treni/CV.htm

45 mins. from Civitavecchia to St. Peter's.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:52 AM
Walter

For the train info go to www.trenitalia.com but you must spell it "civitavecchia" for it to work. HTH Regards, Walter

Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:30 AM
Pat

Thanks for the website. I left my travel material at home and will spell the port name as you indicated.

Pat

Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:58 PM
steve

Pat, check out the schedules on the internet, but avoid buying over the internet if you can. If time allows between changing modes of transportation in Italy, try to get your ticket from a travel agent there. To give you an example of the savings...

We just went from Orvieto to Termini 4 days ago. I made the reservation for first class (highly recommended) and got the ticket 16 hours in advance. Had I purchased over the internet each ticket would have cost $27 plus fees. The travel agent couldn't believe the mark-up. Our two tickets cost 74,000 lira total ($37). We also got an explanation of the ticket (ie which platform to go to and which car to get on).

Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:21 AM
Kris

Pat, the train should be fairly close to where you dock. It took us about 10 minutes to walk. We bought tickets that day, no need to buy in advance on the internet. For an hour train ride, I think 2nd class is fine. It should cost around $8 round trip. I checked the schedules at www.fs-on-line.com.

There are two stops in Rome, St. Peter's (San Pietro) and Termini Station. From Termini you can pick up the metro or many bus lines. San Pietro would be the stop if you wanted to see the Vatican or St. Peter's.

Be sure to validate your ticket before you get on the train. They can levy a fine against you if you don't. I think they were yellow boxes that you had to validate your ticket in.