Search

Rome to Split

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 10:51 AM
jimbo

Rome to Split

I'm trying to find a quick way from Rome to Split. Is there a way to find ferry schedules? Or perhaps rent a car and drive? I am pretty good at travel, and have driven before in Italy etc. Cheap flights into would be helpful too. I need to have this fairly quickly if anyone knows. Thanks...

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Robert

You have ferries for Split leaving Ancona. <BR>For schedules please visit Jadrolinija web site: <BR>http://www.tel.hr/jadrolinija/ <BR> <BR>Croatia Airlines has almost daily flights Rome-Split: <BR>http://www.croatiaairlines.hr/ <BR>http://www.split-airport.tel.hr/spli...sh/depart.html <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Patrick

Is my mind just somewhere else today, or am I the only one to click on this question to see what Rome was splitting from?

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Robert

LOL Patrick

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 01:11 PM
jimbo

Haha. Split, Croatia. Thanks Robert for the sites. Do you know about driving, is it possible? I heard I need a green intl insurance card? How does one get one? Its very cheap to rent, and I could even leave from Venice if that is easier. Thanks...

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Robert

Jimbo, <BR>Again, from what I've heard, it is more expensive to rent a car in Italy for use in Croatia. Due to high accident rates in Italy, the rental agencies have to charge you for collision/theft/fire in addition to liability. If you rent in Croatia, you only have to take the liability portion; the collision/theft and maybe fire portion of the premium is many times a coverage benefit of the credit card you use to pay for the rental. <BR>About green card, I'm not sure, but if you rent a car in Italy they will know (of course) and you need to tell them you're planning to travel to Croatia. Maybe even some of the rentals wouldn't let you to take the car into Croatia. <BR> <BR>From Venice you can take a bus/train to Trieste and from there take another bus for Croatia (Pula-Pola, Rovinj - Rovigno, Rijeka - Fiume, Porec - Parenzio). Preferably to Rijeka (Fiume) 'cause it is a larger city with ferry and bus connections to Split and more rental companies. It is maybe 2,5 hours bus ride from Trieste. <BR>In Croatia you have many rent a cars. You can try searching here: <BR>http://www.hr/index.en.shtml

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Linda

Yes, you'd need a green card. If you tell your rental company you are going to another country, they should give you the card. If they don't, ask for it.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Kris

Jimbo, we used www.europebyair.com to book a flight from Rome to Split and then from Dubrovnik back to Rome on Croatian Airlines. They have a $99 flightpass (taxes are paid at the airport) that you can use but we didn't book in time so we paid a little extra but could fly in and out of different cities which we couldn't book cheaply on our own.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 11:17 AM
jimbo

Thank you all for the info. The flight option seems simplest, thanks for the great web site. BTW, I checked with only one car rental co. but they would only rent to Eastern Europe from Germany. I suppose Fiats will need a steady pasta diet or something, so can't leave home base.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Kris

Jimbo, if you do use Europe by air, a couple of suggestions. If you know what day you are flying make a reservation in advance. You can always try to change at a later date but check with Europe by Air for specific rules(only applies to the flightpass not if you book a flight through them like we did). <BR> <BR>Second, double check the schedules on Croatian Airlines website, we found that Europe by air had the wrong days for one of the flights listed on their website and were planning our vacation around it. <BR> <BR>If you are planning on going to Dubrovnik from Split, the bus was easy and pretty cheap, a better option than flying between the two. Sit on the right side of the bus for the better view. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Patrick

Have fun trying to get correct information from Europe by Air. Last year they first told us we could go from Athens to Dubrovnik and then from Dubrovnik to Rome for $99 for each of the two flights. They also told us we could go any day. As the time progressed the story changed that we needed to change planes between Athens and Dubrovnik so that flight would take two $99 tickets each. Next they said the trip from Rome required a change of plane in Venice, so that also would take two $99 tickets. Finally it ended up that there was only one flight a week available for these fares from Rome to Dubrovnik (this was still a couple of months ahead of when we were going). Finally they informed us that they offered no flights at all from Athens to Dubrovnik. Needless to say, we never got there!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Robin

I was looking for "split" info too, Patrick. In these times, anything's possible. A merger with the Vatican? A leveraged buy-out by Sicily? A 2-for-1 right down the Tiber. Ya just never know.