Rome to Positano....best way to travel?

Old May 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Positano....best way to travel?

Going from Rome to Positano. Train to Naples, then what? Is Pompei worth seeing before going on to Postano? If so, how would you recommend doing that? Or is it better to do Pompei another day?
Thanks in advance for any recs!
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Jynx:
You have many options:
-Train from Roma Termini to Napoli;train(circumvesuviana) Napoli-Sorrento; then SITA BUS Sorrento Positano; or ferry Sorrento-Positano.Or Private car(some 100 euro); Napoli-Positano;this is really good but a little expensive.
-Train Rome Termini-Salerno,Bus or Ferry Salerno -Positano.
-Bus Roma Tiburtina to Positano(I am not sure if it runs to Positano); or for sure bus Roma-Amalfi and then a short bus ride Amalfi-Positano; or ferry Amalfi -Positano; your choice as the SITA bus departs from a place really near to wheretheferry departs in Amalfi.
Related to restaurants:Hotel Le Sirenuse has the most beautiful( and I think expensive) restaurant; with 400 candles in the night!!!
As you can see you have many choices!!!...Enjoy your trip!!!
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM

how many in your party? If 4 + it's cheaper to get a hire car from Rome.On our return journey to Rome we stayed for about 5 hours at Pompeii -that was enough for some!! Our car driver waited for us.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Only 2 of us. Should we train to Naples then car to Positono and stop in Pompei on way? Are the private drivers safe? What about watching our luggage while we tour Pompei? Any recs on a driver/ guide for Pompei? We could also see this on our way back because we are flying out of Rome....so many decisions....
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Jynx:
Visiting Pompeii when returning to Rome sounds good.You can hire a good private car(may be on the advice of your hotel); and leave your in the car; proceed with your visit to Pompeii(alone or with a local guide) and then go to Naples and train to Rome.
Enjoy!!!
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Sounds good jelopez. How long will we need in Pompei? Luggage left with driver is safe?
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Jynx:
Re the luggage issue: This is the reason why I suggested you hire the driver and car on advise of your hotel; for sure they will know many you can trust; or you can leave your luggage at the official deposit.
How much time in Pompeii? not being archeologysts we were well served in some 3 hours(we took a guided tour from Amalfi; a bargain I think as it costed less than 30 euro each).Of course,if you want you can easily spend one day there,with a really guide of course,otherwise you will lose your time.
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Please take a look at

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...me-airport.cfm

as other poster making plans on this same subject.

Wait to go to Pompei-that first day is going to be too long. Even if you have amazing stamina, it is at LEAST 1/2 day there-much to see. Hub and I ended up staying almost the entire day. Get settled and return another day IMO.