Reload this Page >

Rome to Pompeii Herculaneum Sorrento Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 01:49 PM
Walter

This question comes up alot, so last week in Italy I detailed (mini-cassette) my trips. I'm sure there are other options or corrections that others can add, I "Titled" this so it can be found easily in a search. HTH Regards, Walter ...1st I would print-out the Rome-Naples train schedule before I leave, go to www.fs-on-line.com/ use Roma & Napoli in the search. There is also a board on the right wall side exit (Via G. Giolatti) at Termini (Rome's train station) listing the train schedules. I would purchase my tickets before my departure date. BE SURE TO VALIDATE YOUR TICKETS, just before you board the train in the little yellow boxes at the head of the platforms. Walk in the front doors of Termini, there are ~30 ticket windows, you'll probably want to take an ES (Eurostar) or an IC (Intercity) train. These trains are non-stop and take ~1:45+hr. The ticket sellers I have spoken to in Italian major cities have all spoken english. But I write-out what I want just in case: The date of the trip (European style) day/month/yr, destination (Roma-Napoli), time (0612) & train #, 1st or 2nd class, non or smoking, and reservation for seat assignments (yes or no) a good thing to have in peak season or travel days. I've always used a Visa card. <BR> To find your Bin # (track #) check that board I mentioned earlier and when leaving that day also check the TV monitors for destination/bin/time of your train. If you have a reservation in the middle/bottom of your ticket in will have "Cl." 1 or 2 (1st/2nd class) on the train cars in will have a large 1 or 2 on the side. Next to the Cl. will be a drawing of a train car with a number, you will find your car # (Carrozza #) on the door and also inside over the entrance to the car. And next to the train drawing will be your seat #. Also in the middle of the reservation will be the date, time, and train #. My 11/99 ticket cost 52,800L (~29USD) for 1st class with a reservation on a IC train (ES ~5000L more). At Napoli *Centrale* train station (all this is also signposted and is ~150m with 60 stairs-2 long flights & 2-3steps) in front of track 13 near the front doors is a wide staircase going down to the Cs (Circumvesuviana), The commuter train to Herculaneum, Pompeii, and Sorrento. At the bottom of the stairs bear left, you come upon a hallway with the Cs ticket windows on the left (Metro ticket windows on the right). R/T ticket to Pompeii is 6200L. At the end of this short hall to the right is a wide hall (moving walkways) and the end of this hall are the Cs turnstiles, on the wall in front of you 2 boards will post the next 2 arriving trains, you want the Sorrento train (don't worry if it's not listed yet). There are 4 tracks, you'll want Bin 3. 3/4 of the way down the platform is another arrivial board and it will list the train's destination & time. The train's destination for you will be "Sorrento", this train runs every half-hour. This train stops at Ercolano (Herculaneum) (18min) and Pompeii in ~35/40min. The stop you want is "Pompeii Scavi-Villa dei Misteri", you walk under the tracks (w.c) into the small station, outside the station turn right and walk 50m (I would buy water/snack or a guidebook if you need to along here) to the ticket windows 12,000L (w.c. and giftshop). At the ticket collecting booth there is a "Luggage Storage" room on the right. After you enter the site you come across the Forum, look to the left at the far end behind the Temple of Jupiter is a building with a restaurant, snack bar, giftshop, and w.c. If you wish to visit the Villa dei Misteri in the NW corner of Pompeii, do so at the end of your visit (you cannot reenter the site). You exit here (restaurant & private w.c.-1000L) and walk back (600m) to the Cs station. To visit Herculaneum (Ercolano) exit the platform (only 1 way out) and the *only* street (45deg to your right), takes you *right* to the entrance after a 6 min. downhill walk. Impossible to get lost or miss. To visit the Naples Museo Archeologico Nazionale: Across from the Cs ticket windows (at the train station) buy a metro day pass, to the left of the booth is the turnstile and directly in front of that is Track 4, go down to track 4 hop on the train and get off at the 1st stop (Piazza Cavour). When you exit the metro turn right on the busy street in front and walk (uphill) ~150m, you'll see a large 3 story building with pinkish bricks on the same side of the street, thats the museum (12,000L). Also outside this metro stop (P. Cavour) is the bus stop for the 110 bus to Palazzo Reale di Capodimonte. <BR>

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 07:03 AM
Carol

What an extraordinary posting--and terrifically helpful. Thanks Walter.

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 01:06 PM
Scott McDonald

<BR>Walter: <BR> <BR>WOW! Thanks for the great detail on getting from Rome to Pompeii and visiting the site. I've printed it out and will be relying on it when I go with my wife and three teenagers next summer. <BR> <BR>Let's see some more of your Italy travel detail. <BR> <BR>Scott

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Walter

To the top for Suzanne: So far I've received 2 e-mails from people who have used these directions with no problems. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 12:14 PM
suzanne

Thank you, Walter. This is fantastic! Quick questions -- was your Roma - Napoli ticket priced Round Trip? Are the every half-hour trains from Napoli to Pompeii timed on the hour or half-hour? <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR> <BR>Suzanne

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Paulo

The CS trains are schedulled to depart at :09 (a few of them, a couple of minutes later) and :39! Unless there's s FS special offer in the particular period you're going, you should spend Lit 79,000 2nd class roundrip on the Eurostar between Rome and Naples (less if you take an IC train and less once again if you take an IR or D train in one or both legs). Right, Walter? <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Walter

Paulo: Or you could pay more for an IR or D train like I did. Last Nov. I was debating whether take the 0612 IC train or the ~0700 ES train to Naples the day before. I spluged and brought 1st class with seat reservations on the IC, the next day there is a IR or D train in that track going to Naples. I don't know what I should or must do, so I just hop on and hope it's ok. The conductor looks at my ticket and says "no train today" and punches it. Pulling into Naples station I watch the 0700 ES pass us. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 02:40 AM
Paulo

That sounds familiar, Walter Like my relatives in the Italian Tyrol say ... south of Florence it's an entirely different Italy <BR>Paulo <BR>